Lousy jointer technique or maybe I just don't get it?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Re: Lousy jointer technique or maybe I just don't get it?

Post by masonsailor2 »

Using a 4 inch jointer to flatten a long twisted piece that is wider than the jointer can be very frustrating and can waste a lot of material. There are two easier methods. One involves using a router with a sled which works very well. http://youtu.be/J0SDvKHcL5M is a good example. You can flatten very large pieces of lumber ( even table tops ) using that method. A second method I use is the surface planer. This method works very well for the piece you were working with. Essentially take a piece of 3/4 plywood that is narrow enough to fit through your surface planer, set it on your workbench and lay the piece of lumber on it. Use a set of shims between the plywood and lumber to stabilize the the lumber so it doesn't rock. Then screw the lumber through the shims at the ends to hold the shims and the lumber to the plywood. Recess the screw down below the level you will be planing it down to. Then run the whole thing through the planer. I believe there is a YouTube for this technique also. Hope this helps.
Paul
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Here is a YouTube for the planer method. http://youtu.be/8UONmuQt_98
Paul
derekdarling
Gold Member

Post by derekdarling »

I would (and have) clamp the bowed piece on a long sled and run one side through the tablesaw. Having that one side flat, press it up against the fence of the jointer (after having squared it up). Now you have squared one edge ready for the planer and saw to square up the piece.
Derek