Dimensions for Kreg bandsaw fence front rail

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hjlssfor1
Gold Member

Dimensions for Kreg bandsaw fence front rail

Post by hjlssfor1 »

I have cobbled together the various parts to the Kreg upgraded bandsaw fence, but I did not buy the SS version of the fence. I would appreciate it if someone could provide me the measurements for the holes in the Kreg front fence rail (that attaches to the SS front rail). The holes in the Kreg front fence rail that I have do not match up the SS front rail holes. I need to know where to drill (and the diameter of) the 2 holes in the Kreg rail to match up with the SS front rail. Thanks for any assistance. Hank
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

I posted this quite a while back but couldn't find it with a search. So here is the SketchUp drawing I made showing the measurements for the Kreg fence brackets...

[ATTACH]22318[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Kreg Band Saw Fence Brackets.jpg
Kreg Band Saw Fence Brackets.jpg (52.29 KiB) Viewed 10905 times
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
hjlssfor1
Gold Member

Post by hjlssfor1 »

George, many thanks for your post. You prepared that drawing at my request, as I remember. Milling those two fence pieces would have been really expensive, and I ended up buying the rails from SS.

Now I am trying to figure out where the holes go on the Kreg front rail (that attaches to the SS front rail) to match up with the holes on the SS front rail (that attaches to the table). The end of Kreg front rail seems to set back several from the end of the SS front rail, and I am trying to find out how far.

Thanks for your help, and I would be grateful if you could provide the additional information I need.

Hank
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

I'm not sure I understand what you need. Is this it...

[ATTACH]22330[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]22331[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Front Mount.jpg
Front Mount.jpg (136.09 KiB) Viewed 10887 times
Rear Mount.jpg
Rear Mount.jpg (152.82 KiB) Viewed 10885 times
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
hjlssfor1
Gold Member

Post by hjlssfor1 »

George, your last dimensions are just what I needed. Many thanks for your help on this. Hank
hjlssfor1
Gold Member

Post by hjlssfor1 »

George, I just took the dimensions from your post to my Kreg front rail, and it appears that the SS/Kreg front rail (that you measured in your most recent post) version differs from the standard (not specifically for SS) Kreg version (that I have). The Kreg front rail that I have is 26" long. Could you please confirm for me the length of your SS version of the Kreg front rail? It appears to me that your Kreg front rail is about 20 1/4" long:
3 1/2" (from your image) less 1/4" for hole offset = 3 1/4"
Plus 12 1/2" (length of SS front rail)
Plus 5 3/4" (from your image) less 1 1/4" for hole offset = 4 1/2"

Am I anywhere near correct?

I assume that I will need to cut the extra length off of my Kreg front rail (the portion that runs to the left as you face the bandsaw table) because it will be useless given the size of the SS bandsaw and table.

Thanks again for your help on this. I hope I will bother you no further!

Hank
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

No problem, Hank. You nailed it. The rail is 20 1/4" long and as you can see on the picture it still protrudes quite a bit to the left. After you get it fixed up please post a picture of it. I would like to see how your modifications turn out.
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
hjlssfor1
Gold Member

Post by hjlssfor1 »

Well, I finished the modification and install of the Kreg bandsaw fence system that was the generic version, not the SS version. I bought the generic version on sale, and I hoped that I could modify it to fit the SS bandsaw table.

It turns out that there are significant differences between the two versions. The generic Kreg front rail is longer than the SS version and the hole spacing (to attach the Kreg front rail to the SS front rail) does not match. I drilled new holes and cut the length to fit, so that was not a big problem.

The Kreg fence for the generic version is shorter than the SS version, and I do not have an aluminum stretcher, so I will have to come up with a fence extension (using the front or back tracks on the Kreg fence). The fence will work fine unless I am cutting a wide workpiece. If anyone has any ideas on how to extend the fence, I would be pleased to hear from you.

The project required some firsts for me: (1) drilling holes through the aluminum Kreg front rail and (2) miter sawing the Kreg front rail to length. Photos below.

[ATTACH]22413[/ATTACH]
Enough clamps? My first time cutting aluminum, and I wanted everything stable!
[ATTACH]22414[/ATTACH]
Note how the Greg fence does not reach the back rail that extends to the left of the table.

All in, it was a penny wise pound foolish choice I made to buy the generic Kreg fence system on sale. The additional parts that I had to buy from SS (the SS front and rear rails plus some hardware) were very expensive and cost more than the savings from the sale price of the generic version of the Kreg fence. I also spent a good bit of time trying to make everything work and fit.

My advice: buy the SS version.

Hank
Attachments
DSCN2937 (Custom).JPG
DSCN2937 (Custom).JPG (87.57 KiB) Viewed 10875 times
DSCN2940 (Custom).JPG
DSCN2940 (Custom).JPG (79.9 KiB) Viewed 10879 times
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

hjlssfor1 wrote: My advice: buy the SS version.

Hank
Always goo advice, Hank, whatever the part!:D
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

hjlssfor1 wrote:Well, I finished the modification and install of the Kreg bandsaw fence system that was the generic version, not the SS version. I bought the generic version on sale, and I hoped that I could modify it to fit the SS bandsaw table.

It turns out that there are significant differences between the two versions. The generic Kreg front rail is longer than the SS version and the hole spacing (to attach the Kreg front rail to the SS front rail) does not match. I drilled new holes and cut the length to fit, so that was not a big problem.

The Kreg fence for the generic version is shorter than the SS version, and I do not have an aluminum stretcher, so I will have to come up with a fence extension (using the front or back tracks on the Kreg fence). The fence will work fine unless I am cutting a wide workpiece. If anyone has any ideas on how to extend the fence, I would be pleased to hear from you.

The project required some firsts for me: (1) drilling holes through the aluminum Kreg front rail and (2) miter sawing the Kreg front rail to length. Photos below.

[ATTACH]22413[/ATTACH]
Enough clamps? My first time cutting aluminum, and I wanted everything stable!
[ATTACH]22414[/ATTACH]
Note how the Greg fence does not reach the back rail that extends to the left of the table.

All in, it was a penny wise pound foolish choice I made to buy the generic Kreg fence system on sale. The additional parts that I had to buy from SS (the SS front and rear rails plus some hardware) were very expensive and cost more than the savings from the sale price of the generic version of the Kreg fence. I also spent a good bit of time trying to make everything work and fit.

My advice: buy the SS version.

Hank
FYI, the SS version uses the same extrusion that is used on the 20" miter gauge extension shown as 'F' on this page for the fence. If you need an extrusion like this, email me.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com