Rebuild or New PowerPro

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wmkrahling
Silver Member

Rebuild or New PowerPro

Post by wmkrahling »

Asking the brain trust.

I am about to pull the trigger on a PowerPro.

Is there a good time to buy? Does Christmas bring a sale.

I am down to having mine rebuilt or just getting a new off the shelf PowerPro. Is new worth it? I have a late 80’s Mark V.

Thanks for the advice. Let the games begin

Vr, Wrecker.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Rebuild or New PowerPro

Post by wa2crk »

Are you talking about getting just the headstock or a complete machine? If you want only the headstock I would go for the factory assembled one. That's what I did so I would have my original one as a spare. The Power Pro is a great improvement.
Bill V
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If I was going to buy - I would buy a new factory built headstock (as has already been stated).

Whether it is worth the cost or not depends on how much you actually use your Shopsmith and how good a condition your old one is in.

Is now a good time to buy - I don't know but the Christmas Catalog is supposedly available. I have not received on yet.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Or, if you are handy with tools and have some extra time, you might want to consider doing the upgrade yourself. This way you will have backup parts in case you need to pull the PP out for whatever reason down the road. You will same some money and also become acquainted with how things work.
Fred
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Here is the link to the electronic Christmas catalog, that reible recently shared.

http://www.shopsmith.com/catalog/?utm_m ... 2871b7f6b7

Other good ways to buy may include at a demo near you, or thru Lowe's if you are ex-military.

Demo schedule: https://www.shopsmith.com/mark7site/event_schedule.htm
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Another good way is to buy from Doug Reid. He always has discounts.

https://shopsmithwoodworker.com/
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
wmkrahling
Silver Member

Post by wmkrahling »

jsburger wrote:Another good way is to buy from Doug Reid. He always has discounts.

Just checked with Doug. It looks like new if you are a veteran, Lowe’s might be the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

wmkrahling wrote:
jsburger wrote:Another good way is to buy from Doug Reid. He always has discounts.

Just checked with Doug. It looks like new if you are a veteran, Lowe’s might be the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lowe's is probably better if you are a vet. Particularly if you can wait until a SS demo. At the demo SS will have discounts to start with and then you also get the 10% vets discount from Lowe's. That is how I bought my Power Pro head stock and double tilt. SS shipped the head stock directly to my house since it was bought through their demo.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

fredsheldon wrote:Or, if you are handy with tools and have some extra time, you might want to consider doing the upgrade yourself. This way you will have backup parts in case you need to pull the PP out for whatever reason down the road. You will same some money and also become acquainted with how things work.
Fred
And based on my personal experience, you will need those backup parts at some time in the future. My PP quit after 5 years of use. The cost of repair to the power supply/controller was $350, including shipping.
Fred
wmkrahling
Silver Member

Post by wmkrahling »

fredsheldon wrote:
fredsheldon wrote:Or, if you are handy with tools and have some extra time, you might want to consider doing the upgrade yourself. This way you will have backup parts in case you need to pull the PP out for whatever reason down the road. You will same some money and also become acquainted with how things work.
Fred
And based on my personal experience, you will need those backup parts at some time in the future. My PP quit after 5 years of use. The cost of repair to the power supply/controller was $350, including shipping.
Fred
Great advice. I thought of making a mini.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk