router table

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

onevw
Gold Member

router table

Post by onevw »

i have a shopsmith router table with the large square cutout i need to know if the router motor control unit from incra and kregg will fit this table?
rick
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

onevw wrote:i have a shopsmith router table with the large square cutout i need to know if the router motor control unit from incra and kregg will fit this table?
rick

This is a very hard question to answer. There is just not enough information.

I believe that Shopsmith has sold two different tables that meet your description. They are 555658 and 555995. The table inserts for these two are different.

Even with this information, which router you intend to use has an impact.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
onevw
Gold Member

this one

Post by onevw »

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The description of this table (Shopsmith online) indicates that the router base must be round and must not exceed 6 1/2" in diameter and must not exceed 3hp. I am not sure I understand why but that is what is written. I used that table for several years and though I no longer have the router that I used with it, I don't recall it being round.

The cutout for the table insert is 9 3/4" x 7 1/8".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
onevw
Gold Member

I need to work with this

Post by onevw »

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The Incra documentation for this lift states that it fits a cutout that measures 9 1/4" x 11 3/4". I reads this as a no-go with your router table.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

You will probably need to cut the hole larger... using the router is a good way.

Be aware that the lift plus router might be too heavy for that particular table setup as well. Unlike the tubes mounted table, yours is cantilevered off of the spt post using threaded inserts.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

damagi wrote:You will probably need to cut the hole larger... using the router is a good way.

Be aware that the lift plus router might be too heavy for that particular table setup as well. Unlike the tubes mounted table, yours is cantilevered off of the spt post using threaded inserts.

Shopsmith does suggest that a telescopic leg should be used to support the cantilevered table.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

dusty wrote:Shopsmith does suggest that a telescopic leg should be used to support the cantilevered table.
Agreed, and a good reminder. Though if you install the table with the plate in it before the support (or you forget the support) then you are subject to the stress. Removing the plate until the support is in is probably a reasonable solution.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
THOMRIDER
Gold Member

Post by THOMRIDER »

The router plus the weight of the lift will cause your table to sag over time.

In my opinion unless you can somehow reinforce it.
SHOPSMITH 510, SHOPSMITH BANDSAW, AND MANY MANY MANY OTHER POWERTOOLS