What magazine?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mustangpalmer1911
Gold Member

What magazine?

Post by mustangpalmer1911 »

I just ordered the 1 free copy of woodsmith to see if I like it. Anyone recommend another good mag or anything for plans, tips, ect?
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Check out Shop Notes which is also a publication from the same company as Woodsmith. It is more into dealing with plans for making jigs, shop aides and other very useful accessories for the shop. Highly recommend it as well as the Woodsmith magazine. Both very good in come in a format with holes punched to easily put into binders and hard paper covers as well.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
holsgo
Platinum Member

Post by holsgo »

Woodwork Magazine. Not about tips and tricks but detailed analysis of styles and techniques.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I like Wood Magazine, Shopnotes and Woodsmith. I once really liked Fine Woodworking but I don't know lately it was either way over my head or way too basic for me.
The rest of the wood working magazines seem to be about 1 to 3 months behind Wood magazine. If Wood does a table saw review each of the other wood working magazines will be doing a table saw review in the next issue or two. They usually come to the same conclusion of Wood.

Wood has incorporated a real nice feature in their plans. They give both a parts/material list and cutting guide but now they include an actual cost. Listing what they paid for the wood, hardware, finish and etc.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

I like Wood Magazine and Woodcraft Magazine. Fine Woodworking was a great publication, but there projects were not in my field of interest.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Popular Woodworking; Having attended the last two Woodworking in America conferences, and having met most of the staff, the magazine has a "personal touch" for me.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I enjoy reading all of them but I subscribe to only Wood. I read the other at Barnes and Noble. When I find one that has something of extreme interest, I buy it.

This post probably belongs in the thread about frugal wood workers.:rolleyes:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Wood , Woodsmith and Shopnotes are my favorites.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

If anyone is interested, both Shopnotes and Woodsmith have a two-for-one offer going now on their websites. Two year subscriptions for $28.00, which is the equivalent of getting one year free.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

Another one you might want to check out is, "Canadian Homeworkshop". I used to pick it up at Barnes & Noble. But they stopped carrying it. So, now I am a faithful subscriber!

My favorite is still "Wood" magazine.