Spammer or NO - You Decide

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Spammer or NO - You Decide

Post by dusty »

jcgorla

I while back someone asked how to determine if someone is a spammer.

I don't know what others think but this guy walk like a spammer, talks like a spammer and smells like a spammer.

Just joined the forum

Only one post

Post is not about wood working

Is soliciting something

Other red flags for me:

He shows in his profile that he has a well equipped Shopsmith shop but he has never posted here before and then when he does - all he is interested in is introducing you to a non wood working activity (that is likely to cost you money).

Then, if you go to the referenced site, you find that they are based overseas.

Sounds spammy to me.

He's on my ignore list.

Sure wish there was a way to "search" the membership list. I'd bet that this guy has lifted someone else's personal profile so as to appear legit.

You decide.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

I agree with your acessment.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

admin must have agreed. He is gone.:)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

I reported him to admin yesterday, right after he posted. I thought it looked like a spam even if his profile said that he has all that stuff.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

joedw00 wrote:I reported him to admin yesterday, right after he posted. I thought it looked like a spam even if his profile said that he has all that stuff.
IMHO the only thing to use in determining 'spammer' status is the content of post(s). Typically it becomes very obvious by the second post within a short time span. First time poster including external links is an indicator!!!

No guarantees, just little warning flags.;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="JPG40504"]IMHO the only thing to use in determining 'spammer' status is the content of post(s). Typically it becomes very obvious by the second post within a short time span. First time poster including external links is an indicator!!!

No guarantees, just little warning flags.]

Looking at this guys' profile, all by itself, there was no indication that he was a spammer. For me, it was his link to a non wood working forum in his very first post to the forum, that was not even accompanied by an introduction.

There is always a chance that some of these "spammers" are really just new members with an unusual way of joining the forum.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
admin
Gold Member

Post by admin »

dusty wrote:Looking at this guys' profile, all by itself, there was no indication that he was a spammer. For me, it was his link to a non wood working forum in his very first post to the forum, that was not even accompanied by an introduction.

There is always a chance that some of these "spammers" are really just new members with an unusual way of joining the forum.
This one fell in the gray area. I removed the post as off-topic with a concern over the link to an unrecognized site. But it wasn't the obvious spam, so didn't require any type of hold or block on the user account
Shopsmith I.T.
jcgorla
Gold Member

Post by jcgorla »

Guys, I really appreciate the shoot first ask questions later mentality. Been a long time Shopsmith owner since 1996, but have been away for quite some time and want to get back into it. Fact is, I read almost all other forums I belong to on the train while I commute to and from work on my iPhone using Tapatalk. As far as I know it's the only software that lets one do that.

No spam or sales intended, have absolutely no affiliation with Tapatalk.

Thanks for the ultra warm welcome guys!
Making sawdust in Lake Ridge, VA
Shopsmith Mark V, 520 Upgrade, Jointer, DC 3300, Router Table, Several DeWalt power tools
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I assume the post deleted by admin was the one describing tapatalk and inquiring re its being turned on in this forum.

I did not see that as a spam attempt.

FWIW I think there was overreaction to that post.

I also think we owe JCGORIA an apology!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jcraigie
Platinum Member

Post by jcraigie »

JPG40504 wrote:I assume the post deleted by admin was the one describing tapatalk and inquiring re its being turned on in this forum.

I did not see that as a spam attempt.

FWIW I think there was overreaction to that post.

I also think we owe JCGORIA an apology!
Agreed, Sorry about that :o and welcome:D
1984 Mark V 500 and an early 1954 greenie. jointer, belt sander, bandsaw, jigsaw, planner.

Jeff