Picked up a 520; need to sharpen old but never used lathe tools?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Picked up a 520; need to sharpen old but never used lathe tools?

Post by algale »

Hello All,

I am a new member of the Shopsmith club! I picked up a used 520 on Craigslist with a band saw and dc3300. The machine was purchased in 2001 and while the guy had used the table saw, the sanding disk and the band saw, he didn't use the drill press (the chuck was in its packaging and the drill bits still have wax on them) or the lathe (centers were still in their original, unopened package and the lathe tools are unused and had their protective ends on).

So, my question is, do the lathe tools come sharpened from the factory or do they need sharpening/honing before using them? I suspect they do but wanted input from those who are more experienced.

Al
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Al;
The lathe tools should be sharpened. Get a good book such as "Fundamentals of Wood Turning" by Keith Rowley and be guided by what he says concerning grinding and setting the bevel angles on the chisels.
Also give the machine a good going over and lube and wax before using. Also,NEVER TURN THE SPEED CONTROL WITHOUT THE MAIN SPINDLE TURNING. Either turn the machine on or turn the spindle by hand while turning the speed control slowly.
Welcome to the forum and if you have any technical questions don't hesitate to ask. There are a lot of good folks here to give you the assistance you need.
Bill V
jimsjinx
Gold Member

Your new turning tools

Post by jimsjinx »

Be advised, the tools you got are fair, but not near sharp enough outa the box. Also, get some help sharpening them, if possible. It's a long learning curve to get them sharp, without screwing the shape and angles of the edges up. Ask me how I know!! Although a typical "set" will suffice for the occasional little job, they are not "ideal". One good gouge can cost a hundred bucks! I still have an original SS set of turning tools, and they work ok, but I have used those tools to learn sharpening, more than actual turning! Congrats on your new SS, you're gonna love it! jimsjinx
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Thanks for the advice! I assumed they would need to be sharpened and this confirms it. Now the only problem is figuring out how to do it....
mgdesigns
Gold Member

Post by mgdesigns »

Maybe Youtube has some good videos for sharpening lathe gouges. I might check and see. The Tormec is the best system out there to sharpen, but I saw a post for making a jig to hold gouges at correct & repeatable angles. I'll search this forum also. I am learning turning through the TN Association of Woodturners and they have the lathes and sharpening equipment and great club members to show and mentor. Get with a local club and they'll share the info.
Hand Engraver of Metals; Maker of Exquisite Kindling; 1955 Greenie Mark V (NOW with a 1989 Headstock); Magna Band Saw; Magna 4" Jointer; Miscellaneous Craftsman & Porter-Cable electric woodworking tools.
3D CADCAM Designs - Gemstone Facetor
jimsjinx
Gold Member

Sharpening

Post by jimsjinx »

There are a ton of new tools out there designed to "sharpen" your edge tools. All price ranges,too. But, I stake 32 years of reputation on it, NONE of them are worth a dime, compared to good old careful grinding to basic shape you need, and final honing on a stone, and lastly, though not absolutely needed, polishing by hand. You can build ANY sharpening jig, for pennies. I guess what I'm trying to say is, you don't need any fancy sharpening tools. A good honing guide is about the best tool to start with. I wasted alot of time and money trying to "avoid" learning all that sharpening poo. And guess what? That's what I needed most!!! The equipment can make it easier, but it can't do the learnin' part for us! I used to hate the sharpening jobs! I'd even buy NEW edge tools to avoid it. Get the new tool home, rip open the package, and guess what? You gotta sharpen it!!! LOL. You have a giant KILLER sharpening tool anyway! Your ShopSmith! You can get dang good with that alone! Sorry, I sure go on for a new member! Forgive me, I'm old! jimsjinx
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Find a local turners club. They can help ya with all that you need to know.

http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
cv3
Gold Member

Post by cv3 »

Welcome Al. You will find a lot of friendly help on the Forum. As has been said it will be best to sharpen your new tools. You can also find many videos on YouTube on tool sharpening.
Make today a day that lets you smile!
CV
Mobile Al.
MARK V 520 - Band saw and Jointer. DeWalt scroll saw.
jjwoodshop
Gold Member

Post by jjwoodshop »

Just picked up a used Mark V about a week ago and as of today did my third turning project. The tools that came along with my machine were in the same state, unused, still with the red rubber tips. I picked up a nice bowl gouge, and will be enhancing my set a little along with other tools.

As for sharpening, what I have been doing, and actually did each tool this afternoon, was honing them by hand. I have a nice oil stone, and when I start turning I go ahead and clamp it to my work bench and oil it up. I actually will take a break to go sharpen as I am turning, you can really tell a difference as the tool gets dull. And REALLY tell a difference once you are sharp again!

It is a nice break away from the focus of turning, although believe me you still have to focus on the angle. But it is a touch thing, and you can just "feel" it. You get it wrong on a grinder and you can really mess up a tool quick.

There is also something very satisfying with putting a razor sharp edge on a tool by hand, and going back and making those sweet fine shavings....
"If you're not prepared to be wrong, you will never come up with anything original" -Sir Ken Robinson