Oil For SS Jigsaw

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

S Brian
Gold Member

Oil For SS Jigsaw

Post by S Brian »

I recently acquired a jigsaw and as Bill Mayo stated earlier this week, when I checked the oil reservoir it was bone dry. What weight of oil is required. The old gasket is still in one piece, but I think I will get some gasket material and make a new one before adding the oil.
Brian
Mark V-500 Purchased New In 1980, SS Bandsaw (free), SS Jointer, SS 6x48 Belt Sander (free), SS Storage Station (free), Powermatic 64A Table Saw, Powermatic 1140F Drill Press, Delta 46-460 Midi-Lathe, Delta Scrollsaw, Bosch 12" Dual Compound Miter Saw, MLCS Router Table w/Bosch Router, Penn State dust collector.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

sbm wrote:I recently acquired a jigsaw and as Bill Mayo stated earlier this week, when I checked the oil reservoir it was bone dry. What weight of oil is required. The old gasket is still in one piece, but I think I will get some gasket material and make a new one before adding the oil.
The manual calls for SAE 10 oil.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

SDSSmith wrote:The manual calls for SAE 10 oil.

And just WHERE do you find SAE 10 Machine oil that is NOT motor oil, (with or without detergent) in 2010? That is the same as the Mark 5 manual calls for on the sheaves! 'Turbine oil is a bit pricey for this'. I side with Bill Mayo re air compressor oil!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wingrider
Gold Member

Post by wingrider »

How would Marvel Mystery Oil work. I haven't had mine apart in some time and should service it. I have about 1 gallon of Marvel Oil and don't use it much and thought it might be ok for use on the SS. What do you guys think.
rcoder
Gold Member

Oil

Post by rcoder »

Mine has had transmission oil in it for years and no ill effects except sawdust that I make.

Bob
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

wingrider wrote:How would Marvel Mystery Oil work. I haven't had mine apart in some time and should service it. I have about 1 gallon of Marvel Oil and don't use it much and thought it might be ok for use on the SS. What do you guys think.
I would be interested in how well the Marvel Mystery oil will work in the jig saw. This is an expensive oil to use for a lubrication oil. I normally use it with a mixture of regular oil. It may seep/weep by gaskets and seals when first used so I am interested if this is a problem. I have used air compressor oil in the jig saws for many years with no problems.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

JPG40504 wrote:And just WHERE do you find SAE 10 Machine oil that is NOT motor oil, (with or without detergent) in 2010? That is the same as the Mark 5 manual calls for on the sheaves! 'Turbine oil is a bit pricey for this'. I side with Bill Mayo re air compressor oil!
Lighten up Francis er Red! Grainger is one source. :D
Rob in San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

SDSSmith wrote:Lighten up Francis er Red! Grainger is one source. :D
I do not need five(5) gallons!:eek: Got a Grainger stock number?:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

JPG40504 wrote:I do not need five(5) gallons!:eek: Got a Grainger stock number?:)
Five gallons, now that would go real well with your kerosene. Try this: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1AJC7
Rob in San Diego