Turning Pens

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dasazer
Silver Member

Turning Pens

Post by dasazer »

Can you use the same turning tools for pen turning that the basic turning comes with or smaller tools needed?
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dasazer wrote:Can you use the same turning tools for pen turning that the basic turning comes with or smaller tools needed?
Yes you can as I have done it. However as you gain more experience and want to try different things you may want to buy some smaller tools.
But to try it to see if you like it, yes your basic SS turning tools will work fine.

Make some sawdust
Ed
Spike13
Gold Member

Pen turning

Post by Spike13 »

I agree with Ed that you can easily turn pens with the standard chisel set. Give it a try and see. The minature set is the better of the smaller chisel sets as it gives you greater flexibility with the 5 tools vs the 3-tool pen turning chisel kit.

The slim line pens are the easiest to start out with and there are plenty of suppliers for the kits. I would try woodturningz.com for pen kits as their prices and delivery are as good as it gets. Good luck and enjoy the trial as you will find it very rewarding. Make great gifts and can use some othat scrap wood lying around the shop.

Spike:
Life is a chip at a time, :D
Spike13
army1ret
Silver Member

Post by army1ret »

I totally agree: You can use standard tools with the lathe to create pens. With an arbor, you can even use the SS and the drill bit chuck to turn pens (I have several I've done).

Good Luck!
Shannon Fields
CPT, FA
US Army Retired!
Bryan, TX :rolleyes:
dasazer
Silver Member

Turning Pens

Post by dasazer »

Just ordered the beginner kit for chuck (needed for SS) from Craft Supplies and a Live Center Cup from SS. I think that should get me started. Any other suggestions.
Spike13
Gold Member

Pen turning

Post by Spike13 »

Dasazer!
Good for you! If you got the mandrel and the live center, you're on the way to turning pens. :D

You can also use the 1/4" router chuck, SS item #514632to put the mandrel in permanently, rather than put it in the jacob's style chuck. Gives you more room for clearances with the tool rest. You may also want to look at the 4" tool rest if you are going to do any lipstick pens. Allows for getting the tool rest closer to your work, not so big a gap between the tool rest and the turning, improves support.

Don't forget to re-grind your lathe chisels as the 5 degree angle on the chisels (standard grind for all chisels) should be opened up to 11-13 degree for better shearing and improved clearances.

Have fun with the pens. :) One chip at a time!!!
Life is a chip at a time, :D
Spike13
flashbacpt
Gold Member

Get the Mini Set

Post by flashbacpt »

I totally agree with Spike13. Yes, you can turn with the large basic set, but as you gain experience in turning, you will see/learn the need for the mini set which will allow you to create more detail, more easily, in your pen turning. Besides, you will find more uses for the mini set as it opens the door for such things as Chess pieces, small wood parts, etc. Also, Check out, and obtain a catalog from PennState.com which will give you a lot of information, and will display all kinds of items that you can turn.
Good luck!
FlashbacPT
dasazer
Silver Member

Post by dasazer »

Thanks for all the info will be trying soon.
dasazer
Silver Member

Post by dasazer »

Thanks for all the info will be trying soon.
Unregistered

pens

Post by Unregistered »

I agree the slimline are easiest to learn with I recently found a German bit that drills the 7 mm hole cleaner that any others I have tried they are called colt bits work great drills the plastic blanks witout melting it to the bit cler the chips faster so not alot of chance to break the blank as i have been able to do with other bits