My first lathe attempt

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

navycop
Gold Member

My first lathe attempt

Post by navycop »

My son I and were experimenting with the lathe tonight. We got it kind of round. Then we tried doing some coves and valleys. I used the 60 degree live center and the drive center that came with the SS.
[ATTACH]6819[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6820[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6821[/ATTACH]
Attachments
ss lathe picture.jpg
ss lathe picture.jpg (29.84 KiB) Viewed 3814 times
ss lathe picture2.jpg
ss lathe picture2.jpg (37.05 KiB) Viewed 3822 times
ss lathe picture3.jpg
ss lathe picture3.jpg (34.5 KiB) Viewed 3810 times
Mark V 520, Ryobi 12" mitersaw, Delta 10" tablesaw, DC 3300.
Mike
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

What lathe tool did ya use?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

What ever tool you used it needs sharpening. I don't mean to sound harsh and by no means am I trying to dishearten you about this, but you really need to learn how to sharpen the turning tools before you learn how to turn. Many beginners get disgusted and quit trying simply because they don't realize that a sharp tool is a requirement and not an option when turning. Not to mention that a sharp turning tool is safer to use because it is cutting the wood instead of tearing at it. Please take this as constructive criticism and not as dissing your attempts in any way. I hope you continue learning and am sure you will come to love turning.
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

beeg wrote:What lathe tool did ya use?
I used the 1/2", 1" gouge and skew.
re: curiuosgeorge>Thanks also for the recommentation to sharpen them. Glad I found out now before I started doing something really expensive. No hard feelings. That's why I come here to learn from the "experts". I have to crawl before I can walk, then walk before I can run....
Mark V 520, Ryobi 12" mitersaw, Delta 10" tablesaw, DC 3300.
Mike
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

I'd say STAY AWAY from the skew for now. It's a great tool, but knot easy to use without some help.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

practice turning

Post by RobertTaylor »

i actually had a piece of cherry that looked nearly identicle to your piece. i wish i had taken a pic of it before i recycled it today. it was a practice piece from our woodturning club's august meeting. we were to make a candlestick but only got as far as the practice. no one got started on the project but we had fun practicing lol. i figured i will never get around to making the candlestick so i recycled it into a display for my miniture birdhouse ornaments. tomorrow is the club meeting so i will try to post a pic tomorrow or sunday. stay tuned.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
cocacola1012
Gold Member

Post by cocacola1012 »

curiousgeorge wrote:What ever tool you used it needs sharpening.
Does any one have plans for a lathe chisel sharping jig for the SS? I saw some online, but they were either to complicated for me to follow or they were for a grinder (which I don't have).
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

===========================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sun May 14, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

Definitely cleaner than my first try. :D It is truly heartening to read that it was a team effort with your son.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
bluekayak
Gold Member

Sharpening Chisels

Post by bluekayak »

I am glad you started this post. I just turned my first three pieces this morning, so this is a timely thread for me.

Last night I was polishing up the old chisel set that came with the used Greenie I bought last month. I was using my favorite polishing tool, the coarse nylon Weiler cup brush on my hand held drill with some Brasso. Not only did it polish up the chisels, it also sharpened them. I don't think this would work for really dull chisels, but it did clean off the burrs on the back side.

I also have a rubber bonded abrasive wheel (never used) that came with the used Gray Shopsmith set I just bought. The Shopsmith book says this wheel is good for touching up lathe chisels. There were several arbors, but it did not seem like any of them fit the abrasive wheel. Does anyone know which arbor is supposed to be used with the abrasive wheel?

Jerry Floren
St. Peter, MN