Anyone own a Sawsmith 2000?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

recurvearcher
Gold Member

Anyone own a Sawsmith 2000?

Post by recurvearcher »

I have the opportunity to pick up a Sawsmith 2000. I'm looking at a what appears to be the base model with the standard fence. During my research I've heard good and bad said about these saws. More bad than I would like. Anyone have one up and running in their shop? Anything more problematic than any other obsolete tool? I know I can pick up a decent contractors saw with a nice aftermarket fence for less and not put the tool fund in the red, but there's just something about that Shopsmith logo.........
enyoc
Gold Member

Post by enyoc »

JC
Hampden Twp, PA

Bought, restored and sold a 520 before I knew what I had (and should have kept) - Now I found religion and I'm working on restoring a 500 and a 10E.
lnrmiller
Gold Member

Post by lnrmiller »

I picked one up here in jacksonville about a month ago. It's the pro model with the excalibur fence. After a little cleaning, mostly blowing it out and wiping it off, it works well. The previous owner had gummed up the wheels that the fence rides on and had really screwed up the fence set-up to compensate. A little cleaning/readjusting/aligning and now it works the way it is supposed to. My 520 arbors fit it just fine, as does the upper saw guard. My only complaint is that my new cross cut sled won't fit, the tracks are too far apart on the sawsmith. So far I'm happy with it, something else in my shop that says "ShopSmith".

Rick
Jax, FL
recurvearcher
Gold Member

Post by recurvearcher »

Thanks for all the information. I took the plunge and bought the saw. Looks to be in good shape. Came with a nice mobile base,dado,custom dado inserts (stainless)and some extra blades. Hope to check the alignment and make some saw dust this weekend. Thanks again to all who responded.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

recurvearcher wrote:Thanks for all the information. I took the plunge and bought the saw. Looks to be in good shape. Came with a nice mobile base,dado,custom dado inserts (stainless)and some extra blades. Hope to check the alignment and make some saw dust this weekend. Thanks again to all who responded.
Congratulations on your purchase. After you use it for a while, please report back on how you like it.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.