Gilmer belt

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tctech197
Bronze Member

Gilmer belt

Post by tctech197 »

Does anyone have step by step instructions, or a tutorial video on how to change the Gilmer belt on an old greenie?
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Gilmer belt

Post by DLB »

I think these are included if you buy the belt from the mothership: https://shopsmith.com/ownersite/product ... cement.pdf

- David
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

Unfortunately, getting to the upper belt means disassembling most of the headstock. Jacob Anderson has a video on installing the upper belt (poly-v or gilmer) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1W2zhCpeY; but as he says right at the beginning, you have to watch a number of his previous videos in order to tear down the headstock to the point where you can install the new belt. Search Jacob Anderson Youtube videos for his "Shopsmith Mark V Headstock Teardown", pt 1-4.

If you're replacing the gilmer belt, you might as well replace the motor belt, too, since you'll already have done most of the work for that, as well. You might as well inspect the bearings and speed control while you're at it, too. He mentions that in the videos.

There's plenty of help here in the forum if you have questions during the process.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

There are two things you may want to consider with the Gilmer Drive System. There were two different Gilmer Drive Sleeve Assemblies made and depending on when your Mark 5 was made it will have either the early non-clutched or later clutched Drive Sleeve Assembly. This change occurred rather early in the Mark 5 production. The clutch was added to help prevent breaking belts so easily and was one the first changes made to the Mark 5. If your Mark 5 has the non-clutched Drive Sleeve Assembly, you may want to consider changing it. If your Mark 5 has the clutched Drive Sleeve Assembly, you should check to make sure it is working correctly. If it doesn't slip properly, it will not be any better than having a non-clutched one and if it slips too much it will not drive the spindle.

A consideration at this point would be to upgrade to the Poly V Drive system.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
anith
Bronze Member

Post by anith »

Thanks, DLB, I'm new to woodworking so the instructions you sent will come in handy.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

chapmanruss wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:18 pm A consideration at this point would be to upgrade to the Poly V Drive system.

Years ago that was about $500/600 to do.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Bob is correct that it can be a bit costly to buy new upgrade parts. Used parts can be found being sold by Mark V owners who did the do-it-yourself upgrade to the Power Pro motor at a more reasonable price. I recently saw a Quill Assembly, Drive Sleeve Assembly and an Idler Shaft Assembly in different sales, all reasonably priced that I would have purchased if I had a need for any of them.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.