jointer

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

whwilton
Silver Member

jointer

Post by whwilton »

I have a 4" SS Jointer that is been used daily for the past month. A
few days ago the shavings have been exiting under the feed table
instead of the exit port.

I dismantled the jointer and gave it a though cleaning and removed the
sawdust and wood chips.

Nothing has changed, the wood chips still exit under the infeed table.

What do I do next?
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

What sort of vac system do you have for the jointer and is it working properly?
ldh
doug45601
Gold Member

Post by doug45601 »

Perhaps you are taking too big a bite?! Or something you missed in the ejection port?
JPG
Platinum Member

Jointer chip departure

Post by JPG »

What is a "vac system"? Thought they are for "SAWDUST"!!! I do not have a vac system, therefore all my jointer "chips" exit out from under the cutter (it is WIDE open down there). Perhaps you have a "vac system" part under there with no "vac" attached???

P.S. My chips go all over the place!!!
Shavings for any siicklers out there!:eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
whwilton
Silver Member

Jointer

Post by whwilton »

I have a SS vac. that works well and worked with the jointer for 15 years. I disassembled and cleaned the vac. a couple of days ago.

Bill
dusty
Platinum Member

Jointer

Post by dusty »

Bill;

Are you saying that with nothing connected to the vacuum port, your jointer discharges from under the infeed table rather than out the rear port?

If I leave the dust collector hose off, the chips fly about 3' out behind the jointer. I do see evidence that some dust/chips discharge from around the infeed table but very little (by comparison).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
whwilton
Silver Member

jointer

Post by whwilton »

Yes,very little discharges from the vac. port.
kartoffelkopf
Gold Member

Post by kartoffelkopf »

I don't know if I remember reading it in the manual or on a forum somewhere, but I recall reading that the jointer will spit shavings out the front under the infeed until it is "packed." Since you just cleaned it out, that is why you are now getting the shavings everywhere.
Just disconnect any vac/dust collector and let it fill up with shavings for a couple runs. Then hook everything back up and it'll be much better. (Like I said, I don't remember where I saw it/read it, but when I tried it, it worked very well for me.)
Kartoffelkopf… because no one expects much from a potato head.

SS 520, Power Station, scroll saw, Pro Planer, DeWalt 746 Table Saw w/ Jointech cabinet maker's system, Jet JJ6CSX jointer, Jet 22-44 Closed Base Drum Sander, Grizzly G0513P Bandsaw, Powermatic PM1300 Dust Collector
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi WHWilton! About 6 months ago Beeg (Bob) had the same issue. I just re-read that thread and I'm not sure the issue has been resolved yet. Maybe Bob will chime in here. http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... nter+chips
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
beeg
Platinum Member

Chime in WHERE???? HERE or THERE?

Post by beeg »

:confused:

The issue hasn't been resolved yet. Late Oct. I called in an order and was speaking to Jan. While I was at it, I asked her about it. She had NO suggestions and had never heard of this problem. I believed she also talked with dave about it, same response.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob