New Shelix head for my DW735

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gene Howe
Platinum Member

New Shelix head for my DW735

Post by Gene Howe »

The head has been in the shop for six months. I'd like to say that I was just too busy to tackle the job. But, the truth is I was scared.
The new head is the OEM size which requires removal of the carbide cutters before inserting the head in the machine. That seemed an easy way to start and, it was. Next thing was to remove the original cutters and head. This necessitates a complete tear down of all moving parts. Gears, chains pullys tensioners and, belts. And, associated bolts, screws and nuts. Got all that done with all the parts separated in separate containers according to which side they came from.
Removing the old head required a white oak 2X2 and a dead blow mallet. The end I had to beat on was a helical gear that had to be reused. I had to hit that 2 by HARD and several times. Finally got it out. Wore this old man plumb out. Close inspection revealed no damage, Whew. Installing the new one was just as difficult...actually more so as the end with the newly installed helical gear had to be held in line while I beat the other end with that 2 by till bearing seated into their races.
Finally got both ends seated and, the head turned freely.
Now, all those parts and pieces had to be reinstalled. Sure glad I had put them in separate containers. By the time I was at this stage, three days had elapsed and I darned sure would have forgotten which goes where and when. In my youth, I'd rebuilt many Holly 4 barrels without a hitch. But, back then, my memory was longer than 8 seconds.
Got it all back together, including all those carbide cutters installed, crossed my fingers and turned it on. IT RAN. And, nothing flew apart. Ran a piece of mesquite through and it came out exceedingly smooth. I'm a happy camper and, now I'm enjoying a celebratory 3 fingers of good single malt.
If you've gotten this far, thanks for reading my ramblings.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: New Shelix head for my DW735

Post by everettdavis »

Thanks Gene!

I have plans to acquire one for my Pro Planer but have not done it yet. Your write-up let's me know a good bit of what I am in for, including very smooth results.

How muct quieter does it run for you?

Everett
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Gene Howe wrote:The head has been in the shop for six months. I'd like to say that I was just too busy to tackle the job. But, the truth is I was scared.
The new head is the OEM size which requires removal of the carbide cutters before inserting the head in the machine. That seemed an easy way to start and, it was. Next thing was to remove the original cutters and head. This necessitates a complete tear down of all moving parts. Gears, chains pullys tensioners and, belts. And, associated bolts, screws and nuts. Got all that done with all the parts separated in separate containers according to which side they came from.
Removing the old head required a white oak 2X2 and a dead blow mallet. The end I had to beat on was a helical gear that had to be reused. I had to hit that 2 by HARD and several times. Finally got it out. Wore this old man plumb out. Close inspection revealed no damage, Whew. Installing the new one was just as difficult...actually more so as the end with the newly installed helical gear had to be held in line while I beat the other end with that 2 by till bearing seated into their races.
Finally got both ends seated and, the head turned freely.
Now, all those parts and pieces had to be reinstalled. Sure glad I had put them in separate containers. By the time I was at this stage, three days had elapsed and I darned sure would have forgotten which goes where and when. In my youth, I'd rebuilt many Holly 4 barrels without a hitch. But, back then, my memory was longer than 8 seconds.
Got it all back together, including all those carbide cutters installed, crossed my fingers and turned it on. IT RAN. And, nothing flew apart. Ran a piece of mesquite through and it came out exceedingly smooth. I'm a happy camper and, now I'm enjoying a celebratory 3 fingers of good single malt.
If you've gotten this far, thanks for reading my ramblings.
Glad you got it installed. However beating things out of and into bearings is scary. I hope you don't have pre-mature bearing failures.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

everettdavis wrote:Thanks Gene!

I have plans to acquire one for my Pro Planer but have not done it yet. Your write-up let's me know a good bit of what I am in for, including very smooth results.

Everett
I to have been thinking about one for my Pro Planer but, it works so well as is that I have not been highly motivated to do it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

everettdavis wrote:Thanks Gene!

Everett
It's quieter but not a whole lot. Others, with the proper audio equipment, have measured it and have came up with 30 to 35% quieter.
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Glad to hear you got up and running! I have had that setup for 5 years or so and love it.

Jack
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I wish I'd have done it 5 years ago. A lot of white oak and mesquite has been through it. As well as other hardwoods. The monthly blade changes or replacements were time consuming and expensive.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

The club has the same planer and we installed the Shelixhead on ours but I really have to say that I can't recall having that much difficulty installing it. It took two of us about three to four hours to get it done and i noticed that it was significantly quieter than the original head.
Bill V
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

You did catch the fact His was DW735 Planer and not the Shopsmith, correct?

I doubt the install on the Shopsmith would take as long.

Everett
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

For someone who knows what they're doing, 2 or 3 hours wouldn't be outlandish. In real time, I probably spent 4 hours with the wrenches and hammers.