Joiner dust chute

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Sorry to say I am in the same boat as Dusty - :confused:

Don't give up - we'll keep investigating and thinking. (Ouch - that thinking part hurts!)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

Are you running the newer upgraded dust collection fittings? I have the new and improved for the belt sander and the jointer- have not installed either myself yet- still boxed up. If the new styles do not make a significant improvement I will return mine.mike
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

For what it's worth as datapoints....

I have the newer Bandsaw and Jointer models with latest dust-collections.

I use the Bandsaw extensively and I note that the DC3300 does an incredibly better job than my little shop-vac there. A night and day difference.

For the Jointer, I use it only occasionally. And to the best of my recollection both the shop-vac and the DC3300 do satisfactorily there. I have not removed the hose to see if the chips "fly out" the way they did for Nick on the composite-wood video.

Perhaps the jointer somehow does better with a moderated air-flow as the gents have mentioned above? Usually when I'm at the jointer end of my machine, I have 2 8-foot lengths of vacuum hose (in series) between the DC3300 and the jointer.

Good luck,
Chris
charlese
Platinum Member

The Light Switches On?

Post by charlese »

I believe mtobey (Mike) has shed light on this issue! As you have a 1980 500 perhaps your jointer is also of the older design. I have been commenting based on the newer dust collection chute. It seems others have too.

I never would have guessed the new improved chute is so much improved, but the catalog does say the retro kit, "includes rear blade guard, inner guards and chip chute. Some drilling and tapping required." (part number 555077)

I have no experience with the older units. Sorry!
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

I bought the joiner in July 1989. Ilooked up the part #555077, and I don't recognize the red items, nor the "C" shape item in the upper left corner. Looks Like I'm missing those, so I'll call SS and see what they say.

Thanks everyone for helping.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Beeg,

I don't pretend to know the answer to your questions regarding 555077. I did note that the upgrade is for Jointers with serial numbers prior to 70,000. Is it possible that your was manufactured after that number and that the newer units parts may appear differently. Did you look at the replacement parts description for the current Jointer? I feel certain a call to Shopsmith customer service will help. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
brown_hawk
Gold Member

Post by brown_hawk »

Looking at my upgrade, when you look up the back chute, you should see the blades. If you can see the blades, you should be getting most of the chips. If you are not, you might not be getting enough air movement. With a DC3300, use the hose, and leave another port open. Believe it or not, this helps increase the air flow.

Also keep in mind that the design is old, before dust collection, so you WILL get some going out under the infeed table, because that is where the direction of the cut takes it. You may want to check under there and make sure that it is cleaned out as well.

I don't recognize all the parts on the upgrade kit in the catalog, but its been a while since I bought it.

If you are still having a problem after trying this stuff, I'll look into it some more.

Hawk
Dayton OH and loving it! :D (Except they closed the store.:( )
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

beeg! Yes! A call to Shopsmith is in order. I just looked and SS reached the 70,000 serial number two different times. Once in 1960 and again in 1984
Do you know the serial number of your jointer?.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/jointer.htm
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

SN = 109495

Now these doesn't make sense. I bought it July 21 1989. According to the date chart, "From Dec 1987 until now, jointers have date codes.".
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

beeg wrote:SN = 109495

Now these doesn't make sense. I bought it July 21 1989. According to the date chart, "From Dec 1987 until now, jointers have date codes.".
I agree! :confused: At least you have a bunch of data to tell SS on the phone!
Chuck in Lancaster, CA