Hot hub

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

retiredsoldier919
Gold Member

Hot hub

Post by retiredsoldier919 »

I've been tuning up my headstock and notice that the hub mounted to the idlershaft is hot to the touch. This after running the motor throughout the range of speeds, with no load. I checked the poly v belt tension, and it gives about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. I recently replaced the drive belt with one from Jacob Anderson. So should I be replacing the idlershaft next, or is it normal for the hub to get warm. I can touch it, so it's not too hot. Just concerned that it may get much hotter when I do put a load on it.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I do oil the sheaves on the idlershaft with plenty of 3 in 1 oil.
superpop
Gold Member

Re: Hot hub

Post by superpop »

Even on my PowerPro the top of the unit gets hot after a while. Case acts as a heat sink to a certain degree.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A warm/hot idler shaft is typical.

Consider it's job. It hss an idler pulley with movable sheaves that is connected to two V-belts. V-belts have to slide on the sides of the pulley when turning them. That sliding creates heat due to friction. That heat has few paths to escape and therefore builds up.

The drive sleeve has the gilmer/poly-v pulley that also gets warm/hot, but it has better heat dissipation paths. Those paths include the top of the headstock.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
retiredsoldier919
Gold Member

Post by retiredsoldier919 »

Thanks for your input.