DC 3300 and Remote Control - Danger

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

friscomike
Gold Member

DC 3300 and Remote Control - Danger

Post by friscomike »

Howdy,

Yesterday I went to the shop and discovered the DC3300 threw the breaker when I turned it on. Sadly, it was hooked to the Shopsmith remote control and a thunderstorm turned it on. It ran non-stop for several weeks. Normally, I am in the shop and would have caught it (it does the thunderstorm start all the time), but I was away on vacation.

A new motor is almost $300 after shipping, so I fear the DC3300 day's are finished. At least I have a Dust Deputy connected to an old shopvac. I tried it yesterday with the planer and it seems to hold its own.

Moral of the story is disconnect your DC3300 from the wall when not in use if you use the remote control.

Have fun,
mike
...now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have sawdust to make... ;)
bffulgham
Gold Member

Post by bffulgham »

Ouch!

I've seen the same behavior of the wireless remote turning my DC on. It happens fairly frequently if I unplug the extension cord to run a different tool, and then plug the DC back in. I do remember once of being in the kitchen and hearing a noise from the attached garage.....we had experienced a power glitch, and the remote fired off the DC when the power came back on.

So, I almost always unplug all power tools when I exit the shop for the day. Since I have limited power available in my garage, it's not a big deal to unplug 1 or 2 cords.
Bud F.
1998 Mark V 510 bought used 2006, Jointer, 2 Bandsaws, ca 1960 Yuba SawSmith RAS
Projects and "stuff": http://www.bfulgham.com/JAlbum/Woodworking_Index/
beatnik
Gold Member

Post by beatnik »

Saw this a while back, maybe still there.

https://dallas.en.craigslist.org/dal/tl ... 98849.html
teacherman
Gold Member

Post by teacherman »

friscomike wrote:Howdy,

Yesterday I went to the shop and discovered the DC3300 threw the breaker when I turned it on. Sadly, it was hooked to the Shopsmith remote control and a thunderstorm turned it on. It ran non-stop for several weeks. Normally, I am in the shop and would have caught it (it does the thunderstorm start all the time), but I was away on vacation.

A new motor is almost $300 after shipping, so I fear the DC3300 day's are finished. At least I have a Dust Deputy connected to an old shopvac. I tried it yesterday with the planer and it seems to hold its own.

Moral of the story is disconnect your DC3300 from the wall when not in use if you use the remote control.

Have fun,
mike
I am really sorry to hear this. I bet the electric bill was another thing entirely.:(

Thank you for letting people know about this risk. This and our third time malfunction of the electronic "keypad of our new stove makes me more of an analog guy each day.

Take care.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

friscomike wrote:Howdy,

Have fun,
mike
Please contact me off-line. I checked and have a nice 1/2 HP Emerson motor that I removed from a dust collector that had been badly damaged. This motor has 4 mounting holes on the shaft side housing. I believe I have the fan some where too. I am putting cheaper prices on my items as I am slowly selling my inventory due to declining health and will have no use for them in the future.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
friscomike
Gold Member

Post by friscomike »

beatnik wrote:Saw this a while back, maybe still there.

https://dallas.en.craigslist.org/dal/tl ... 98849.html
Howdy, Here is an update. I purchased the DC from the Craigslist ad you posted. Thanks a ton. It was far cheaper than buying a new motor and I am now back in business. Best, mike
friscomike
Gold Member

Post by friscomike »

My new (old) DC3300 is the metal unit. Does anyone know if there are any issues with the old design? Seems to work just fine. ~mike
smokinjoe79
Silver Member

Post by smokinjoe79 »

I just think it's terrible that they don't protect these systems better. Think about it, your garage door doesn't open during a thunderstorm, nor does you tv suddenly change channels. It's simply cheap, lazy manufacturing. Putting an RF filtering/ check signal is really straightforward. Again, garage door openers don't suffer from this problem. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Buckeyeduffer
Bronze Member

Re: DC 3300 and Remote Control - Danger

Post by Buckeyeduffer »

Bill:

Any more of those motors laying around that a fella could get. my DC 3300 motor took a dive today and I need a replacement.

Any help would be appreciated