Mark 2 (Hybred)

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Mark 2 (Hybred)

Post by JPG »

There has been a bit of conversation re Mark 2's recently.

Lotsa folks have never seen one.

Here is my cobbled together 'portable' shopsmith made from some Mark 2 parts and some other stuff.

Some talk has concerned the 'bench' tubes/2x4 base. My parts were likely of the 2x4 variety. This made it easy to mount it to my home brew base.

Notice the square shape of the bench socket and the lag screw hole.

[ATTACH]22709[/ATTACH]

The left base mounts SPTs, but secures them with offset screw shaft 'knobs' like a model 10, but much smaller. The bandsaw offset is redundant for the Mark 2 since like the Mark 7, the SPT base is part of the tie rod and goes up when raised to drill press position.

[ATTACH]22710[/ATTACH]

The right base also mounts SPTs, but the front 'knob' is different. As will be shown later, it does double duty as a vertical lock in drill press mode. There is a second 'knob' on the back side.

[ATTACH]22711[/ATTACH]

The hinge pins were originally 'secured' by push on washers with 'fingers'. I replaced them by tapping a hole in the pin and using a washer and screw to secure it.

[ATTACH]22712[/ATTACH]

The pins are longer than the casting, so a sleeve was slipped over the excess on the back end.

[ATTACH]22713[/ATTACH]
Attachments
m2 base.jpg
m2 base.jpg (398.39 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
m2 base left.jpg
m2 base left.jpg (489.7 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
m2 base right.jpg
m2 base right.jpg (505.88 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
m2 left pivot a.jpg
m2 left pivot a.jpg (474.24 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
m2 left pivot b.jpg
m2 left pivot b.jpg (432.19 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

While we are on the subject of 'tilting', does the following remind you of a newer version?:D

[ATTACH]22714[/ATTACH]

And the lock down method?

[ATTACH]22715[/ATTACH]

As promised, the vertical lock uses the front SPT 'knob'. The slotted clamp goes over the screw and prevents it falling by having a slope on the slot that prevents accidental 'lowering'. The clamp must be rotated off the screw to lower.

[ATTACH]22716[/ATTACH]

Tie bar/left base reaching for the moon.

[ATTACH]22717[/ATTACH]

While 'raised', a look at the underside of the carriage. Notice the model 10 type table raising crank and the thiness of the casting(s). The carriage lock is essentially the same as the other 'Mark' models, but the offset knob is used. Same wedges and left/right handed threads.

[ATTACH]22718[/ATTACH]

Notice also the table support tubes. No rack teeth, and the two 'knobs' that lock down the table just like a Model 10, except the tube size is 1 1/4 od.

That Model 10 knob is an 'other stuff' part to be explained later.
Attachments
m2 tilt - tie bar.jpg
m2 tilt - tie bar.jpg (491.96 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
m2 tilt - tie bar lock.jpg
m2 tilt - tie bar lock.jpg (467.99 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
m2 tilt vertical lock.jpg
m2 tilt vertical lock.jpg (516.09 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
m2 vert tie bar.jpg
m2 vert tie bar.jpg (455.92 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
m2 vert back view.jpg
m2 vert back view.jpg (533.41 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Moving on to the work table, the trunion is Mark 5 vintage.

[ATTACH]22719[/ATTACH]

The table lift arm did not arrive with the mM2 stuff, so I needed to make one. A 1 1/4" collar is welded to a bar with a dimple on the underside for the height crank to register in. The knob is a model 10 table clamp(brass threads).

[ATTACH]22720[/ATTACH]

A M2 fence did not arrive either, so the table was modified to use a Mark 5 fence. The table is 'shallower' so the back side was 'extended' with a wooden extension. The front rail is different, but by mounting a Mark 5 rail to the Mark 2 rail mounted upside down, the Mark 5 fence will clamp properly.

[ATTACH]22721[/ATTACH]

The rear extension is secured by a screw using an existing threaded hole in the table.

[ATTACH]22722[/ATTACH]

And yes an SPT mount on the right end. FWIW the end castings are identical.

[ATTACH]22723[/ATTACH]
Attachments
m2 trunion.jpg
m2 trunion.jpg (485.88 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
m2 table lift.jpg
m2 table lift.jpg (439.61 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
m2 table alterations.jpg
m2 table alterations.jpg (488.55 KiB) Viewed 1732 times
m2 table alteration back.jpg
m2 table alteration back.jpg (432 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
m2 spt right.jpg
m2 spt right.jpg (464.46 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Now for the bench stuff. A 3/4" plywood base holds doubled 1x3(?) rails on both the 'front' and the back. The inside rail is grooved for the plywood. The rails are lag screwed onto the plywood. The end castings are lag screwed to the rails. The plywood is secured to a saw horse at each end using Model 10 knobs that screw into t nuts from the bottom of the horse. A cross board on the bottom of the plywood prevents the horses from rotating.

There is a captive t-nut in that hole.

[ATTACH]22726[/ATTACH]

Plywood base/saw horse clamping knob and anti-rotation cleat. The jam nuts limit the amount of screwing needed to tighten the base to the saw horses which BTW are from Harbor Freight(nice wide flat top).

[ATTACH]22727[/ATTACH]

The counter-bored lag screws holes do not extend through the outer rail.

[ATTACH]22728[/ATTACH]

If you have not already noticed, there is a Mark 5 headstock in this hybrid. It is a Greenie/Gilmer/3/4 hp.

[ATTACH]22729[/ATTACH]

Notice the unique table insert. It is steel, but thin(1/8").

[ATTACH]22730[/ATTACH]

I have minimal use with this beast, but I like it in spite of a couple of things. The horses place the saw table(and every thing else) higher than a Mark 5. Not a problem for me, but shorter folks would struggle with it. The saw blade is a mark 5 9" combination blade(my Goldie original), but I have since been spoiled by newer carbide tipped blades.

For transporting, the headstock is removed to decrease weight. The horses fold up.

FWIW, the way tubes were obtained on e-bay a couple of years back. I am 'looking' for a Mark 2 fence so I could then remove the work table
alterations.

A Mark 5 miter gauge is also used with this menagerie.
Attachments
m2 base top.jpg
m2 base top.jpg (498.41 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
m2 base bottom.jpg
m2 base bottom.jpg (399.28 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
m2 base side.jpg
m2 base side.jpg (459.54 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
m2 drill press.jpg
m2 drill press.jpg (517.58 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
m2 drill press table.jpg
m2 drill press table.jpg (447.78 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Thanks for all the pictures JPG, some great ideas. I was beginning to think I was about the only Shopsmith owner who enjoyed coming up with unique and different ways to use Shopsmith equipment and parts. I believe the Shopsmith is one of the most versatile tools made in the past 60 years. I have used the headstock to power many different types of equipment that are not part of the Shopsmith suite. Maybe because I am not a woodworker, more of a metal worker, that I am always looking for news ways to make use of the Shopsmith equipment I have. I do my first prototype from wood and if it works well, I convert the adapter plate or jig to aluminum. I have several ideas/modifications from the past that I want to offer again to Forum members. My really poor health is all that prevents me from already finishing these modifications. I have the material on hand. It is a never ending battle to be able to get a day or so to play in my shop.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
dlbristol
Platinum Member

glad to see some parts going to use

Post by dlbristol »

I found a M2 some time ago and decided I didn't have time or energy to do nything with it, so I gave the parts away. Nice to see one in working order, it was interesting to see the differences and similarities with M2 and and the real SS machines.
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

Someone just added a couple M2 parts (main table/trunion and tailstock) to E-Bay - don't see much of that stuff surface for sale
'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dlbristol wrote:I found a M2 some time ago and decided I didn't have time or energy to do nything with it, so I gave the parts away. Nice to see one in working order, it was interesting to see the differences and similarities with M2 and and the real SS machines.
Anything look familiar?:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝