An ohmmeter as a tool in a wood shop?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

How many of us have and use an ohmmeter in our wood shop?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:43 am

I might use one but can not justify the expense.
27%
5%
23%
7%
29%
7%
3%
No votes

Total votes: 104

dusty
Platinum Member

An ohmmeter as a tool in a wood shop?

Post by dusty »

How many of us have and use an ohmmeter in our wood shop?

I posted this thread because I was curious. We often discuss, here on the forum, subjects like the centrifugal switch or the resistance of motor windings or the functionality of the on/off switch. I got to wondering if these discussions were appropriate. Does the general readership understand these discussions? Should we maybe discuss these topics in more detail?

What say you on this topic?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
texomawood
Gold Member

Post by texomawood »

As a retired Navy EMC(SS) have one and use it when replacing cords on small portable electric tools. I take one with me when going to garage sales to check tools I am looking to purchase.
I have an old machinist drill press that my dad put an amp meter on to determine the load, but I rarely look at it unless I am drilling a lot of heavy duty metal parts.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I do not have one and don't have the background to know whethe it would be a useful addition for me.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Ohmmeter/ Volt Ohm Milliamp meter possession/need

Post by JPG »

To conclude that I have one(or more) would be a no-brainer.

I recognize that many(most?) folks do not have one.

Folks with a SS 'electrical' problem need one to determine cause etc.

Them who do not have one must/can borrow one.

When intended use is to measure motor winding resistance, I mention the 'detail' of being able to distinguish between near zero and near 5 ohms.

I am often amazed that folks whom I think would be the last person on earth to possess one actually do!:cool: Having fresh batteries in them is often a problem tho!

I think the willingness of one to explore the reason for a problem is an indication of willingness to get/use whatever is necessary to do so.

Easter egging diagnostics are useless when a motor is the subject of 'test'.

P.S. Just 'voted' and looked at 'results'. WOW! Over 50%(would be over if I had selected 'have one' in addition to 'use often' ;>} )
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="JPG40504"]To conclude that I have one(or more) would be a no-brainer.

I recognize that many(most?) folks do not have one.

Folks with a SS 'electrical' problem need one to determine cause etc.

Them who do not have one must/can borrow one.

When intended use is to measure motor winding resistance, I mention the 'detail' of being able to distinguish between near zero and near 5 ohms.

I am often amazed that folks whom I think would be the last person on earth to possess one actually do!:cool: Having fresh batteries in them is often a problem tho!

I think the willingness of one to explore the reason for a problem is an indication of willingness to get/use whatever is necessary to do so.

Easter egging diagnostics are useless when a motor is the subject of 'test'.

P.S. Just 'voted' and looked at 'results'. WOW! Over 50%(would be over if I had selected 'have one' in addition to 'use often' ]

The better meters provide the capability to measure very near 0 ohms of resistance (a dead short). But most of us with meters do not really NEED that capability.

To use a run of the mill ohmmeter to accurately measure small resistances (1, 2, 3 ohms), simply short the leads together and record the reading that you get. This reading represents the resistance of the leads and clips used to make that measurement.

Now make the intended resistance measurement and subtract the previously recorded reading. The answer to this arithmetic exercise is the "corrected reading" (after compensating for the previously recorded lead resistance).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

I voted "I don't have one," because of the trailer fire.

I should have, and need to get, one.

Yes, they ARE useful in a wood shop!

While a real "swing" meter is best, one of
those cheap $3 (or so) HF ones will do.

steve
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

I have inexpensive multi meters in my shop and house. I mainly use the ohm meter function for basic continuity checks, I don't think I would put much stock in getting a good reading out of the meters I presently have.

Roy
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I have one end up using it fairly often. However mine is over 40 years old and I really need to replace it. I have been looking for what I want in a new one.

Bought both my sons in law one for Christmas, you would have thought I bought then a double axle yo yo. :eek: I think one uses it to hold down glue ups and the other to fill his shelf.

Should have saw the face of my one son in law when I showed him how to use it as RPM gauge to set his idle and the governor on his lawn mower. And I showed the other son in law how to shoot a light problem on his lawn care trailer.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

I find Harbor Freight has a free multimeter coupon one or two times a year where you only need to buy something. I find these $5 meters work well for checking 110 VAC outlets, extension cords and even checking motor windings. Open or a short is what you are looking for most times on the 100 ohm resistance scale.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Meters are like ShopSmiths... You can't have just one. :)
I keep one in the woodshop, one in the farm shop, one in the daily driver truck, one in the old 1983 Ford pickup that I mostly use around the farm. Most are pretty modest cost, the best one is a Greenlee. I lost one to freaky lightning...

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill