Building a Shop

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

easterngray
Platinum Member

Building a Shop

Post by easterngray »

Hello Folks -
I am planning on putting a small shop in the back yard this spring. Approx. 20' x 10' with a shed roof. There is currently a frame there from an old bird pen. The only tools I plan to have in it, other than hand tools, are my shopsmith, stand alone SS planer, stand alone SS bandsaw and a vintage Dewalt Radial Arm saw. Any advice from those that have put a shop together is most appreciated.. I am considering installing a Rinai propane heater as well. It will have a wood floor. Thanks for any feedback - Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

I did that

Post by kd6vpe »

I did exactly what you are planning on doing. One problem I have with my setup is the roof clearance for drill press mode. Don't forget about that. The heater and insulation yes I wish I had that done, maybe this spring it is pretty cold out there now and the ss starts up kinda slow at first.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

I might suggest that you situate the RAS in a manner that you can run long boards out the door (or a window perhaps). There is nothing more maddening then not having enough "length" to cross-cut a board:mad: .
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

The first thing I think of is ample electricity and more than needed outlets - all GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt) You can put one GFCI outlet in a circuit and use normal outlets down line from that one. the result will be that all outlets in that line will be GFCI. Also get 20 amp outlets - don't save $ by buying 15 amp ones.

The second thing is to have ample room for in-feed and out-feed for all tools.

The third thing is ample cabinets/shelves for storage, while preserving room to store partly completed projects while still having room to work.

Good Luck! & Best Wishes!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Plumbing is always nice to have. Tried talking the wife into letting me put that in but she said no. Her reason: she'd never see me! Heat is nice to have. Also think about how to keep cool in the summer (although now that's not a problem!)

18 days 'til Christmas

BPR
drewa
Gold Member

Post by drewa »

I don't think anyone has mentioned the most important thing...DUST COLLECTION. This is, outside of the tools themselves, the most important thing one can have in a shop. I would plan around that. Nick and I are covering dust collection this Saturday on our Sawdust Session. If you haven't signed up or if it is filled, you should check out the podcast we will publish on Monday.

As you probably instinctively know, but bears mentioning, there are health hazards with breathing the dust that you create. Some folks can break out into hives or worse, respiratory failure. You may not be one of those folks, but you are one of those folks who need clean air to breathe. And this is one of the things your wife will not argue with. And if she does, be suspicious. Very suspicious.

Be good,

Drew

P.S. It is also a good idea to run some electric and dust collection under the floor. I will leave you with more space up top to swing boards around...
"When one has finished building one's house, one suddenly realizes that in the process one has learned something that one really needed to know in the worst way - before one began."

[INDENT][/INDENT]Friedrich Nietzsche
easterngray
Platinum Member

Great!

Post by easterngray »

These are all great responses and I appreciate it. Dust collection under the floor... Wow! I never would have thought of that. Please keep 'em coming! Thanks again, Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Alec
One thing I would build into my shop is the ability to CHANGE it around when I figured out what I did wrong the first time.

I have built three shops and have redone the one I'm presently in at least twice. My last change was my fatal mistake. I needed overhead storage so I built cabinets from the floor up to serve two purposes; one as cabinets and the other as the main structure for my overhead storage. To insure the strength and integrity of the everything I used construction adhesive and fixed them to the walls, floor and existing ceiling. They turned out perfect and worked as planned and I loved them. That is until I bought another piece of gear that would fit perfectly where they are! :eek:

Now I'm faced with a problem since I can't easily move them do I live with the situation or do I tear them apart (really a bad job) and begin again. I have since figured a far superior way to get my overhead storage and a perfect way to support it that wouldn't tie up an floor space. I have come up with more versatile methods to store what is presently in the cabinets and I could really use the space.

Needless to say when I finish the "honey do" list and there is an end and it is in sight! Praise the Lord!!!! I'm almost certain I will once again redo my shop layout. My only regret is I wish I would have built my present shop with the ability to readily change it. A new machine, a better way of doing it, a new need can really obsolete a really good design quickly.
Ed
drewa
Gold Member

Post by drewa »

Here's another idea...

I have a problem with storing 4X8 ply, as does anyone else who has 4X8 ply. I have a plan for suspending it from the ceiling using a pulley system. I think you can see what I am proposing. The only thing I would be concerned about (especially in my ricketty ole shop) is re-enforcing the rafters and making sure your walls can hold the weight of the plywood.

Be good,

Drew

p.s. when i think of more i will post them.
"When one has finished building one's house, one suddenly realizes that in the process one has learned something that one really needed to know in the worst way - before one began."

[INDENT][/INDENT]Friedrich Nietzsche
jtomwoods
Gold Member

Post by jtomwoods »

Alec-

My only comment is to make your shop as large as feasible given your space, funds, etc.

I built a 16X20 about 5 years ago. It seemed like a mansion at the time. Now, it's unfortunately smaller than I'd like.
Tom Woods