Have seat by the window

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dewey2me1mothyme
Gold Member

Have seat by the window

Post by dewey2me1mothyme »

I just made two identicle window seats for the family next door in exchange for his radial arm saw. Here's one of them in front of the shop after final sanding. The neighbour will be painting them himself. I know, who paints oak, but the customer is happy, so I'm thrilled.
Attachments
Dewey's Designs 001.JPG
Dewey's Designs 001.JPG (97.41 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
Dewey's Designs 002.JPG
Dewey's Designs 002.JPG (100.31 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
Dewey's Designs 003.JPG
Dewey's Designs 003.JPG (97.2 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
Dewey's Designs 004.JPG
Dewey's Designs 004.JPG (113.45 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
Anything worth dewing, is worth dewing well!
I'm dewing my thyme in southwest Indiana
efmaron
Gold Member

Post by efmaron »

Nicely done, you may be able to get a new saw guard and new table top for the RAS there was a recall on the saw guard. I will try to look up the info and get back to you later. Good job Dewey
Eric, Sebring Fl.
dewey2me1mothyme
Gold Member

efmaron wrote:Nicely done, you may be able to get a new saw guard and new table top for the RAS there was a recall on the saw guard. I will try to look up the info and get back to you later. Good job Dewey
Thanks for the heads up Eric, I hadn't heard of that recall. What's even better is I was going to buy material to make a new table top since the one on it now (I assume the original) is made of 1" OSB (yes OSB) and has swollen and warped where-ever they have made a cut too deep into it. The table locks were froze from lack of use, as was the bevel lock. I got those working like a gem yesterday, ordered a new battery and battery lid (missing both) last night and they should be here by the 26".

I lubricated all mechanical locks, levers, tracks, etc yesterday and worked the 3 in 1 oil in well, lubricated the elevator boot, repaired the electrical box the previous owner had installed sloppily on the back of the cabinet. I also put the electronic wiring back in the holders to avoid future shorts, waxed 90% of the cabinet, blew out all recesses w/ compressed air, and made several test cuts. It works very good now after being home to mud dobbers and sitting under multiple bird nests for the last several yrs. Now if I could get those Snap-On cabinet casters to lock properly I would be in good shape.
dewey2me1mothyme
Gold Member

efmaron wrote:Nicely done, you may be able to get a new saw guard and new table top for the RAS there was a recall on the saw guard. I will try to look up the info and get back to you later. Good job Dewey
Eric, I did find this link, but if you have another tried and tested one I'd appreciate the link as well. Thanks again! :cool:

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/faq.asp

Edit to add:
Thank you for placing your order online. You should receive your new tabletop and guard kit in approximately 2-3 weeks. Please keep all existing hardware as you will need it to install your new tabletop. If you do not receive your kit within 3 weeks or you have any additional questions please contact Customer Service at 1-800-511-2628.
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Nice job on the window seats. Too bad they will be painted. I found this site for the recall.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
dewey2me1mothyme
Gold Member

joedw00 wrote:Nice job on the window seats. Too bad they will be painted. I found this site for the recall.
Thanks Joe, the fact that he is going to paint the window seats kind of worked out good for me because I was able to use up many cut-off's that were less than perfect and fill in rough and cracked grains in the ply veneer, saving me from buying an additional sheet of ply. I also did most of the molding using left overs that were already primed, or had small defects that were easily repaired with wood putty. In all, including the battery & battery lid I ordered, plus the few materials I had to purchase to make the seats, I've only got $110 to $115 into the saw.

Now with the recall, I am getting a new table top which I was going to purchase materials for this week. I'm happier than a pig in a mud hole. :D
Thanks for the link as well, I already have the parts on recall ordered, and now all I have to do is fire up the SS and rurn a new handle for the elevation mechanism. It's a Happy Day at Dewey's Designs ;)
cv3
Gold Member

Post by cv3 »

Very nice. It is a shame to paint it .
Make today a day that lets you smile!
CV
Mobile Al.
MARK V 520 - Band saw and Jointer. DeWalt scroll saw.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi Dewey! Nice use of materials to produce matching window seats! Painting? It really is what fits best into your neighbor's home, and it gave you a chance to use wood you would otherwise probably had as scrap.

Nice boxes!:D
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dewey2me1mothyme
Gold Member

charlese wrote:Hi Dewey! Nice use of materials to produce matching window seats! Painting? It really is what fits best into your neighbor's home, and it gave you a chance to use wood you would otherwise probably had as scrap.

Nice boxes!:D
Thank you charlese, my goal was to keep the customer happy, get the RAS as cheaply as I could w/o ripping him off, and to have him want to come back for more work later. It all worked out good b/c now I'm trying to get a SS out of him for making some small cabinet doors. :D his wife was also thrilled, and we all know when momma's happy, everyone is happy. :rolleyes:
dewey2me1mothyme
Gold Member

Thanks for the emails Eric, all worked out good. :)