Looking for a tie bar and trunnion for a 500 table

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

donpol
Gold Member

Looking for a tie bar and trunnion for a 500 table

Post by donpol »

In an earlier post (Main table difficult to raise and lower), I described how the main table of a model 500 was difficult to raise and lower. I found that the table posts were bent slightly and they weren't at 90 degrees to the tie bar or the table. I believe this misalignment caused the friction when raising and lowering the table.

Today, I attempted to straighten the posts. I clamped the table to a workbench and using a pipe for leverage, applied some force to one of the posts. Almost instantly the tie bar snapped in two. Upon closer inspection I found that I also snapped part of the front trunnion.

I looked at Shopsmith's parts list and found that the tie bar is available, but the front trunnion is listed as "N/A". Besides looking at Ebay and hoping to find one that's not damaged, are there any other sources for these parts?
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for a tie bar and trunnion for a 500 table

Post by rpd »

donpol wrote:In an earlier post (Main table difficult to raise and lower), I described how the main table of a model 500 was difficult to raise and lower. I found that the table posts were bent slightly and they weren't at 90 degrees to the tie bar or the table. I believe this misalignment caused the friction when raising and lowering the table.

Today, I attempted to straighten the posts. I clamped the table to a workbench and using a pipe for leverage, applied some force to one of the posts. Almost instantly the tie bar snapped in two. Upon closer inspection I found that I also snapped part of the front trunnion.

I looked at Shopsmith's parts list and found that the tie bar is available, but the front trunnion is listed as "N/A". Besides looking at Ebay and hoping to find one that's not damaged, are there any other sources for these parts?
check on the Facebook, Shopsmith Sales group.. If you post ISO (In Search Of) what you want, there will likely be someone there that has one they are parting out. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/298235127282459/about/
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
harris2020
Silver Member

Re: Looking for a tie bar and trunnion for a 500 table

Post by harris2020 »

Tie bare is must for trunnion table last time i got the VidaXL tie bar for the trunnion table but it was not the best experience for me so i just suggest you do not buy it