Walking Cane repair & length adjustment

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

STB
Gold Member

Walking Cane repair & length adjustment

Post by STB »

One of my coffee buddies asked me to repair and adjust the length of a broken cane for his wife to use.https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ane+height He said it was a very expensive cane and made of rosewood. I don't think it was rosewood. It may be ibe or some other tropical hardwood with a tint in the finish.
In order to align the hole for the ferrell socket as close as possible I used a drilling jig and a laser level on the drill chuck (left of picture) along with a movable target block (right side). The cane shaft was tapered so I wrapped tape around the small end to compensate for the taper. Another problem was the shaft wasn't exactly round so I guessed. Anyway to my surprise the socket hole was straight and centered. I placed a hose clamp around the cane shaft to prevent splitting while inserting the socket.
C1.jpg
C1.jpg (236.93 KiB) Viewed 8067 times
C3 (2).jpg
C3 (2).jpg (356.92 KiB) Viewed 8067 times
C3 (1).jpg
C3 (1).jpg (253.59 KiB) Viewed 8067 times
C4.jpg
C4.jpg (269.4 KiB) Viewed 8067 times
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: Walking Cane repair & length adjustment

Post by nuhobby »

Great job!
And your signature slogan says it exactly how you do it!
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Great job Glenn! Inquiring minds want to know, what is that laser looking gadget on your Mk V and what is it used for?

Jack
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

claimdude wrote:Great job Glenn! Inquiring minds want to know, what is that laser looking gadget on your Mk V and what is it used for?

Jack
It is a laser 'level' used for aligning shop made fixtures. :cool: :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
STB
Gold Member

Post by STB »

claimdude wrote:Great job Glenn! Inquiring minds want to know, what is that laser looking gadget on your Mk V and what is it used for?

Jack
I am not sure what the question is but it is an off the shelf lazier level. Just a tool to be used any way you can think of. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=laser+level& ... ss_sc_1_11
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench