Decision time on Shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Dansmith
Gold Member

Re: Decision time on Shopsmith

Post by Dansmith »

Here's something to consider. It is a Robust universal lathe stand. Here is the link:
http://www.turnrobust.com/product/universal-stand/
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I believe that Oneway offers a lathe specifically built for someone in a wheelchair. Ask them, that company is known for outstanding customer service. I have four Shopsmiths icluding a 10 er and a Powerpro, but my go to lathe is my Powermatic. That is a good lathe, but too high if you need to sit down to use it.
Good luck in your search.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I think enough people have told you that the Shopsmith is not the best idea for you. However you keep asking, which tells me you are sold on the idea of Shopsmith and you want one.
You have been given valid reasons why Shopsmith might not be best for you and I see no point in repeating them over and over. But before you do buy one make sure you try one, make sure you can accomplish all the change overs. Like changing from a lathe back to a table saw or upright to drill press mode. To my thinking these will very difficult if not nearly impossible for someone in a wheel chair.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You have been provided with a lot of opinions but I still add at least one more comment.

The Shopsmith is an excellent tool to have at your disposal and will do all of the tasks that I envision you doing "in preparation for turning" and other general woodworking tasks. I love my Shopsmith (s) and would not set up a home work shop without one. But then I DO NOT do extensive turning.

I believe that if "turning" is really your ultimate objective - you need to consider a dedicated lathe. If there is a turning club in your area or a major outlet like Woodcraft consider presenting them with your concerns. There is nothing like a live demo and some hands on trials.

Again, Good Luck with your decision.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

The Rockler Elcelsior Mini Lathe can do bowls about 10" in diameter and is long enough to do chair legs.

What Mini Lathe do you have? Theirs is just under $300

Everett