Suggestion on Price to sell

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sreilly24590
Gold Member

Suggestion on Price to sell

Post by sreilly24590 »

My lightly used Mark 7. My intent in the beginning was to have a small compact shop. It now spans 1/2 of my basement and growing. I bought a Sawstop 36" PCS table saw, 8" jointer, 13" planner, 1964 Clausing drill press, built the router table, installed a CV1800 dust collection system, am building a miter saw station for my Dewalt DWS780, got a Kreg Foreman and built a cabinet for it, and the list goes on. I haven't fired up the Mark 7 in a good while. I installed the easy lift system on it, bought the Nova Chuck assembly (never used), have the jointer, and all of the accessories that came with it as well as a few others added afterwards.

Now I'm thinking maybe I should just sell it and get a lathe and new drill press. Problem is I have no idea what a fair price would be to ask. I can get a more detailed list of what was added afterwards but thats most of what comes to mind. With the shop as it is now and will be shortly I really just don't use it and that's a real shame. Of course I have all the books and documentation that came with it as well. I'd even be willing to drive a few hours to meet someone halfway if need be.

Any suggestions on asking price? Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. I thought of the Bargain post area but this isn't a bargain yet...

Thanks,

Steve
Steve
2015 ShopSmith Mark 7
Jointer
www.astral-imaging.com
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Re: Suggestion on Price to sell

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Steve
Sadly people dump their SS on the market. My guess you will be hard pressed to get $1000.
Most sell for a lot less or just sit there. That is not to say you won't get more, some guy may not do any shopping and see a good price (approx a little less than you paid) and jump on it.

But practically any Craig’s list has one or two Shopsmith 500-520 and even Mark 7 on the south side of $500-1000.

Do not dispair until you see what the “experts” say here.
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

Individual markets drive the figure.
You will not be happy since you paid full price. But, there is a price for space in your shop. Follow Craig’s list in your area to see what moves and what does not. In this area PowerPro units go for ~1200 with accessories.
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

I would keep the mark 7 because that is a nice backup to have. Think of it as a second anything. Plus, for what you will receive for it, I could not imagine parting with it.

However to your question, around $1000 out here I would expect, maybe up to 1500 if lucky. Guess if you never will use it then sell it, but it's still a nice tool in the arsenal.
-Beave