New caster install

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Wes7373
Gold Member

New caster install

Post by Wes7373 »

Just got the upgraded casters installed today, what an improvement! This is a great upgrade if you move the SS around at all.

Question: All four original casters came out by hand with a bit of force, and the new ones went in with steady pressure. One of the new casters needed to come back out so I could add the spacing washer as per the install instructions. I reinstalled it, and it is much looser now. In fact, if the SS is lifted up it will fall out. Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks
Wes
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: New caster install

Post by everettdavis »

Pull it out all the way and inspect the grip ring on the stem of the caster. If it got overly compressed during the install, you may need to insert something in the gap and wedge it apart so it will stay snug.

Everett
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

You could try to make the ring near the end of the casters post larger by prying it apart a little. It is that ring that holds it in place. Shown below in red circles.
premium_caster_set.jpg
premium_caster_set.jpg (129.23 KiB) Viewed 5862 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Wes7373
Gold Member

Post by Wes7373 »

Thanks Everett and Russ. I did take a look at the brass compression ring. I spread the gap apart but it didn't seem to help much. ??
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

I installed the same casters recently. Had to really smash that brass collar to get the washer on. The brass collar does not recover on its own, you need to bend it back out quite a bit to get it to where it was originally.
Wes7373
Gold Member

Post by Wes7373 »

Thanks, RC, I'll take it back out and open it back up a bunch and see if that helps.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

When inserting the stem into the bore, you must insure the brass ring does not slip out of the groove and thus require greater force to get it inserted.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange