New Member Here...

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Sherlock
Gold Member

New Member Here...

Post by Sherlock »

Hi all...

Just joined the forum today. Have been a guest for a few months now and what a great source of advice and wisdom. Me? Not a detailed woodworker but do a few things. Let’s say rustic. Bought a 510 from the Habitat Store a few months back and now have it running. Actually it did run but motor failed within a week or two. Located Alex Smith at Shopsmith Repair in Arizona through the forum. A new “used” motor (not an Emerson) and I am good to go.

Mostly have stand-alone tools in the shop and not looking to give that up but the Shopsmith is quite the backup machine. And it is really turning out to be the go-to machine in many cases. I was originally thinking about a second smaller table saw – contractor type, but had always been interested in Shopsmith and here they were – and still in business. A lot better bearings than the old Sears saw. One can pause half way through a cut and not leave teeth marks for instance.

Background: Engineer on the Process side. Retired and now self employed designing Hydronic HVAC systems. First system designed was twenty some years ago in our own house remodel. Did not intend to design the system but knew more about pumps and pumping systems than the installers in those days. And a wood (now biomass) boiler was not on anyone’s radar. But in the Northwest and trees all over the place, seemed like a fit and reasoned it would keep me fit. And maybe it did (except for the occasional deadfall), but unfortunately not young. Update on that subject, installing ground-source heat pump to parallel the boiler.

What else? Have to figure out the forum a little better. Have a few things will post. My dad was a builder in Idaho and mostly stuff I picked up from him. Things come to mind as I review some of the postings. So rather than create a new Thread, might be better to add to those. Anyway what a great resource the forum is. Will be fun to take part.

Jeff
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: New Member Here...

Post by JPG »

Welcome!!!!!!!

Do not be timid!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Welcome!!!
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
Sherlock
Gold Member

Post by Sherlock »

Thanks. Already have a question in under BuckeyeDennis' thread "Tricked-out overarm router".

Can someone tell me how to put in Location: Upper right on posts? Maybe there is "howto-use-forum" page? Thanks.
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

A new convert!!! :) Always nice to have one. You will learn to love most here.
Under Maintenance there maybe a link to a pin router, not that I ever saw one, but never looked. Someone here may have a direction for you to go on that.
Sometimes too many "engineers" here, egos seem to get in the way on some discussions. Thats okay, makes it interesting and good banter.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Sherlock wrote:Thanks. Already have a question in under BuckeyeDennis' thread "Tricked-out overarm router".

Can someone tell me how to put in Location: Upper right on posts? Maybe there is "howto-use-forum" page? Thanks.
User Control Panel / profile / location
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

JPG wrote:
Sherlock wrote:Thanks. Already have a question in under BuckeyeDennis' thread "Tricked-out overarm router".

User Control Panel / profile / location
Then "submit" at the lower part of the page, a big miss for some, you usually have to scroll down to see it.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

There are two fields where "Location" can be entered. The one near the top doesn't seem to work. Enter your location in the field closer to bottom of the form, then hit "Submit".
Sherlock
Gold Member

Post by Sherlock »

Still looking for the "HowTo..." beginners page for the forum. In particular attaching - posting a picture? Must be straight forward but I haven't figured it out. FAQ's, not much info, at least detailed. First forum, this one. Also logging in from Tablet? Reading forum works fine but logging in not so good. LG Android tablet. Signing off for now. Any help, thoughts appreciated. Thanks
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Sherlock wrote:Still looking for the "HowTo..." beginners page for the forum. In particular attaching - posting a picture? Must be straight forward but I haven't figured it out. FAQ's, not much info, at least detailed. First forum, this one. Also logging in from Tablet? Reading forum works fine but logging in not so good. LG Android tablet. Signing off for now. Any help, thoughts appreciated. Thanks
Hopefully this can help. Step '2' appears below step '1' on the screen but can be unnoticed.
Post a Pix Final.jpg
Post a Pix Final.jpg (66.17 KiB) Viewed 8420 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝