wiring diagram for motor

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gyancey
Bronze Member

wiring diagram for motor

Post by Gyancey »

I am new to the forum as a bought a used shopsmith mark v 500 that I thought was a good deal. The motor was off the head unit and no switch was available. I bought it from a guy who said it belonged to his dad and that a local shop had rewired it but dad passed away before and he didn' t care to put it back together. This is circa 19961-19962 gold and the s/n does not show on the listing. There are ^ wires on the motor numbered 1 through 4 with two red wires to the cap. The motor says 115/230 50/60hz and I want to run 230. Working with a forum member I was told it appears one run winding seems to be burned as it runs/starts with and without the cap in circuit. Long story short I want to tear into the motor to look around but would like a wiring diagram. Sent email to shosmith but this being as old as it is I'm not holding my breath they have anything. So if you have a copy let me know, if you need payment let me know as well. A.o.smith model C48L2A5, 11/8 hp.
Gyancey
Bronze Member

Re: wiring diagram for motor

Post by Gyancey »

Looks like I don't need the wiring diagram afterall. Turns out the start windings are burned so I will be replacing with another motor. I spoke to the guy who sold me the shopsmith and he is adamant that the motor shop told him they rebuilt the motor, but they are no longer in buisness. One shop told me I could buy two brand new motors from shopsmith for what it would cost to rewire this motor. Lesson learned, thanks for looking.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

It is possible that the start windings had 220 VAC applied to them. This doubles the current and will overheat and burn the start windings causing them to open or short to ground. Both the start and run windings can only have 110 VAC applied to them. The run windings are connected in parallel for 110 VAC and in series for 220 VAC. The start windings are connected across only one set of the run windings for 220 VAC operation. I found that I needed 6 wires coming from the motor for the 220 VAC operation, 2 wires for each set of run windings and 2 wires for the start windings.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Sadly it is possible. However realize this motor very likely did not come from Shopsmith.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange