Why an air compressor?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

I could say just about the same thing Ed has said (except the diving part) about my oil compressor. I bought it 12 years ago and have used it everywhere. I throw it in the back of the pickup with ease. The noise level is probably the same as my brothers old oil free not bad. I had alway used oil comps in construction many years ago then I needed to purchase my own instead of using my bosses so off to the tool shop and they told me almost all the contractors where buying the oil and at that time the oiless was more money. I have a 1.5 hp 4 gal hitachi. If I didn't need to transport it I would get something bigger. Mine came with a brad nailer that I sold for $50 and went out and bought a senco nailer. I use it for nailers, cup sprayers (I have a cricket), pumping up tires and such and blowing out the shop. If I had to purchase another one I not sure what I would get probably an oiless just because my brother uses one on the jobsite daily and it holds up. Good discussion guys:cool:
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

This use is kind of related to Nick's post. Not only do I use my compressor for the aforementioned purposes, but it is also great for gettting the neighborhood cats (and other critters) out of the shop and garage when someone leaves a door open! Sure scared the wits out of a young raccoon! Plus I didn't get bit!

BPR
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

That is a good one, BPR!:D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
etc92guy
Gold Member

Post by etc92guy »

You better like children. Everyone in the neighborhood would be in my driveway when the garage door was up to get bike tires filled.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Image etc92guy,
Glad to have you aboard! In my neighborhood, the closest neighbor (some 500' away) can knot see when my garage door is open! But the kids wood be welcome!
Tim

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Times they do change! Just cut down on some of the Air Compressor use. Bought new tires for wife's car at Costco. They fill the tires with nitrogen.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

charlese wrote:Times they do change! Just cut down on some of the Air Compressor use. Bought new tires for wife's car at Costco. They fill the tires with nitrogen.
As I am knot familiar with this, some questions if you do knot mind:
What is the purpose of the nitrogen?
Can you add (regular) air to the tires if they need it?
Or do you have to go back to Costco for nitrogen?
Does the nitrogen increase/decrease the tire life?
Oh! Never mind. Found this: http://www.getnitrogen.org/
Tim

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

My take, Tim - without oxygen the inside of the tire will not oxidize the rubber. If a tire loses air I can fill with air - then drive the car to the nearest Costco where they will bleed the tire and re-fill with nitrogen. Some folks say it gives better mileage.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
chrispitude
Gold Member

Post by chrispitude »

I've read that since nitrogen molecules are much larger, they do not leak out and the tire maintains its desired pressure longer - thus indirectly leading to better mileage due to less pressure drop.

- Chris
cityslicker2
Gold Member

Post by cityslicker2 »

Chris is correct - the nitrogen molecules are larger. Another benefit of nitrogen is that it is less sensitive to temperature affecting tire pressure. This is the reason you see NASCAR teams using it in race tires - the pressures stay where they initially set them much more consistently. I don't believe there is any problem adding regular air to a nitrogen filled tire - you are only diluting the mixture slightly. Steve