Is this a good idea???

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rjent
Platinum Member

Is this a good idea???

Post by rjent »

I tripped across this because I was thinking of making one myself. It seems like a good idea and fits a series of projects that I am going to start after I get more dialed in on this machine.

Anyway, any and all opinions .... ;)

http://www.woodpeck.com/gripper.html

Dick
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

YES!! :D

You will quickly find that two is better than one, especially for longer or larger pieces. Also, if you are going to cut thin strips, buying the 1/8" foot is a decent add on.

Personally I feel more comfortable using the handle bridge adapter (yes, more money) because I believe it allows me to get more torque on the assembly, but as an old fart I often choose safety aspects even if they are just mental, :o

They are on sale fairly often at multiple stores.... Woodcraft, Rockler, Woodpeckers, Peachtree, etal.

I've not tried the lower priced versions.

Be well,
Ben
perryobear
Gold Member

Post by perryobear »

Hi,
There are all kinds of push sticks, push pads, etc out there and the choice I think is a personal one; what works best for you, what are you comfortable with, and so on.

I have a grripper and like using it, along with a zero clearance insert, when ripping thin widths. It will allow you to rip down to 1/4" widths (1/8" with the optional leg). I don't usually use it for larger (wider) cuts, but for cutting strip wood its my favorite.

One thing to remember is that the upper saw guard is not in place when using it. With the Shopsmith that means there is no riving knife or anti-kickback pawls. Shopsmith sells a separate riving knife and the company that makes the grripper also sells a splitter device. Just something to keep in mind.

So for me at least the grripper has its place.

Dennis
JonE
Gold Member

gripper

Post by JonE »

I have two and I'm a fan. I do use use it it in conjunction with a splitter incorporated into a zero clearance insert. It has been a worthwhile investment especially for consistent thin strip production.
forrestb
Platinum Member

Gripper has its uses

Post by forrestb »

For ripping thin strips against the fence and for ripping long pieces (2 Grippers needed) I like it. But…

You have to set it up so that you don't cut the Gripper. That means checking the placement of the center 'foot' and the height of the blade. More delay in getting the job done. Most of the rips only require that I reach up and get my home-made push block and go. It is wood and has been cut several times by the blade but still keeps on working - safely.

For ripping thin strips I prefer to cut them away from the blade, not along the fence. Yes, I have to move the fence for each rip, but a block clamped to the table provides a convenient stop. If I had only one strip to cut I would use the Gripper since I can set the fence to the right distance more easily than the clamped stop block.

Forrest
Forrest
Huntington Beach, CA
1985 500->510->520, bandsaw, jointer, planer, PowerPro, double-tilt, 3" casters,(now obsolete) speed increaser
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

I've had two for a couple years and like them for the most part. As Forrest says, it's one more thing to adjust. I often prefer my shop made push block and I use SS's over-the-fence unit. I'd try to get them on sale because I think they're pricey. Although I'm sure some would argue - what price safety.
New Leaf Custom Woodworking
Berry Conway - Chief Dust Maker
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

OK guys, sounds like everything else, you need them but you don't. I was going to make something very similar to them then did a google search and found them.

If I do get them, what model would you guys suggest? There seems to be a lot of different devices to get from them with different options ..... :confused:

Dick
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
forrestb
Platinum Member

Post by forrestb »

rjent wrote:OK guys, sounds like everything else, you need them but you don't. I was going to make something very similar to them then did a google search and found them.

If I do get them, what model would you guys suggest? There seems to be a lot of different devices to get from them with different options ..... :confused:

Dick
I would stick with 2 basic GR-100s (2 if you rip long pieces on a fairly regular basis) and maybe add a ⅛ " leg if you rip thin to the fence. Wait around if you can. Woodcraft had the "Advanced" model on sale a few months ago (it doesn't include the ⅛" foot).
Forrest
Huntington Beach, CA
1985 500->510->520, bandsaw, jointer, planer, PowerPro, double-tilt, 3" casters,(now obsolete) speed increaser
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have these and I would say if you can afford them, getting the system of both the GRR-Ripper GR-200 (and yes you will need 2 of them) and the MJ-Splitter SteelPro is a great addition to the shop.

If you have not been to their site I would do that first. They have plenty of information on their products and videos of them being used.

http://www.microjig.com/products/grr-ripper/

I also agree that the 1/8" leg is worth having, again you will need two of them.

I also agree that you should wait for a sale, many places sell them and since they are costly it is worth getting them for a few $$ off.

You might also want to do a search here at the site as there has been posts about them, several my me. Use the term "grr-ripper".

Ed
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

This set is on my wish list at amazon.

Father's day is coming, I can hope. These would also be very useful on router table setups.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX