Mortise Mill

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

Oh now I see. I drilled a hole for the shank to fit in and the slot is only wide enough for the chisel to be turned sideways to come out. Maybe if you make
the opening in the front piece to be wider ah deeper dado would make them come out easier? just guessing other wise yours looks real nice.
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

dusty wrote:Yeah, that works but the chisels fall out very easily. I don't believe I cut the notches like I should have.

[ATTACH]20510[/ATTACH]

Ah yes I agree with Dusty on this one. When I looked at the string of chisels my first thought was "no guard=falling chisels" I keep mine in the wooden box they came in. they lay flat and I never get cut until I begin using them:D:mad: Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

fjimp wrote:Ah yes I agree with Dusty on this one. When I looked at the string of chisels my first thought was "no guard=falling chisels" I keep mine in the wooden box they came in. they lay flat and I never get cut until I begin using them:D:mad: Jim
A counterbore for the bottom of the handles to nest into will 'fix' the falling problem.

I am missing two of my 1/4" to 2" stanley no 60 set.:mad:

The one I 'loaned out' has been replaced with a buck bro.

I keep hoping the other one will show up someday!

I keep them edges shielded & in a box in a drawer.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

dusty wrote:Yeah, that works but the chisels fall out very easily. I don't believe I cut the notches like I should have.

[ATTACH]20510[/ATTACH]

Notches are O.K. If you would do a counter bore to allow the tang, or sloped portion of the handle to lock into the hole, they won't fall or slip out.
[ATTACH]20511[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20512[/ATTACH]
Attachments
HPIM1784.jpg
HPIM1784.jpg (110.54 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
HPIM1788.jpg
HPIM1788.jpg (113.99 KiB) Viewed 2445 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Talk about highjacking a thread.
I guess the thing I found interesting about the moritse mill was the price $69. In the past I believe this would have been priced a lot higher, perhaps not.

I have a full Stanley set of chisels, they are my beaters I have a nice set of wood handled Marples in pouch in the drawer with my gentlemans saw, fret saw, brass backed saw and etc.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Only a half hijack:rolleyes: We were talking about mortises and The kind of tools used for making them. Chisels are one such tool.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

If it were not for high jin...jacks, we would all know much less.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

So back to the jig.

It is on sale for what looks to be a fair price. From the video it looks like it would do the job.

It seems to have only one size, I guess on wider piece you could make two mortises or more.

The function of doing the back and forth to clean out the hole has me a bit apprehensive, I've done that will drill bits before and wasn't very impressed with the result. True I did not have a bushing for control so maybe that makes all the difference?

The drill bit has a lot for shank and only twisted for a short distance, most likely the dept of the cut into the wood. This means you will have a close fit for the cuts between the holes. That seems like a reasonable idea. It also means you will want to get a second bit for back up in case something goes wrong or if excessive wear happens.

Being a tool junkie I'd get one if I had the funds for it just to see how well it would do. Nothing like have the tool in hand to test it.

BTW so far I'm seeing bench chisels and not mortising chisels.... don't make me go out to my cold shop to take pictures. Actually you mostly need them for deep mortises but then you all knew that from going off topic, right?

Ed
forrestb
Platinum Member

good, but limited use

Post by forrestb »

Being a BIG fan of slip tenons I like this product - Mortise Mill - except that it seems to cut mortises of one size with a limited length. It is nice that you can use a drill since the side forces are generated by the mill and not on the drill bearings. Better, put your plunge router bit in.

And the advice to cut your tenons a little shorter than the mortise is sound practice as I have discovered. That way the rounded ends are not an issue, there is adjustability and strength is retained.

For one or two mortise/tenon joints maybe an overkill, but for many m/t joints you can make your on slip tenons in a long length and cut to size.

Thru tenons obviously need a chisel, but do you do that many?

Got to check it out. Thanks, Ed!

Forrest
Forrest
Huntington Beach, CA
1985 500->510->520, bandsaw, jointer, planer, PowerPro, double-tilt, 3" casters,(now obsolete) speed increaser
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

I don't have a need for it, but it is a cool jig and good for somone without the tools or expertise to cut round mortises.
The jig comes with a 1/4" guide busing and drill bit, but they also have 3/8" and 1/2" kits for for the mill.

Sincerely,

Ron309753
Sincerely,

Ron309753