Wine Rack

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

berry
Platinum Member

Wine Rack

Post by berry »

Here’s my latest project.

[ATTACH]20308[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20309[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20310[/ATTACH]

The plans for this came from Hands On. The original plans called for attaching the rails to the end panels with screws. I choose to route mortises for the rails and not use mechanical fasteners. I also added the arches.

The wood is cherry. Finish was a coat of shellac and 4 coats of General Finishes polyacrylic. Typically I like to apply finish before assembly but it looked like quite a project to tape the ends of the rails and mortises so I applied the finish after assembly. Yech I hate trying to control runs and drips!

The plan called for cutting the partial circles from one piece of wood and then ripping it to two rails, a front and back. I tried cutting the circles with a hole saw but had a problem with chatter and vibration. I gave up and used this guys technique. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwrscVlM9Tg This worked much better.
Attachments
IMG_1624.jpg
IMG_1624.jpg (60.83 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
IMG_1631.jpg
IMG_1631.jpg (57.44 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
IMG_1635.jpg
IMG_1635.jpg (52.77 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
New Leaf Custom Woodworking
Berry Conway - Chief Dust Maker
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

Nice. I may just steal the idea. Which issue of Hands On is the plan in?
Don

Mark V (bought new, now sold), Model 520 (1989 510 upgraded)
Bandsaw, Jointer, and Planer
1951 Magna Engineering 10ER (restored for lathe use and sold)
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

donalexander wrote:Nice. I may just steal the idea. Which issue of Hands On is the plan in?
Christmas 1989.
New Leaf Custom Woodworking
Berry Conway - Chief Dust Maker
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

donalexander wrote:Nice. I may just steal the idea. Which issue of Hands On is the plan in?
You can find it here:
http://www.shopsmithhandson.com/archive ... j/mmp1.htm
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

Berry, It appears you made a couple of revisions to the plans. First, you obviously didn't use screws to attach the rails to the sides. I'm guessing you used dowels or maybe a blind mortise and tenon joint (the dowels seem easier). Second, the plans show straight sides (rectangular end pieces). It appears you used stiles (not sure if this is the right term) and extended them to make feet and you made the top a bit wider than the bottom of the sides. I'm guessing you used dowels to attach the stiles to the sides.

The finished look is a whole lot classier looking than the Hands-On version but I suspect the Hand-On version is easier to make.

I've got a fair amount of cherry that's in my way right now and my wife and I are wine drinkers (we'll I will be again when Lent is over <g>). This seems like something I should make...
Don

Mark V (bought new, now sold), Model 520 (1989 510 upgraded)
Bandsaw, Jointer, and Planer
1951 Magna Engineering 10ER (restored for lathe use and sold)
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Very nice lookin' wine stand, Berry! Congratulations on a nice finish! And good lookin' joints and wine bottle recesses!:)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Berry:

Nice Job!

Always nice to see variations of wine racks.

John
saminmn
Gold Member

Post by saminmn »

Very nice!!

Wish I could get that nice a finish on projects.
Sam in Northfield, MN
A day without beer......could have been better :p :D :p
Mark V 500 - S/N 100990, Mark V 510 - S/N missing, SS Band Saw, SS 6" Belt Sander, SS 4" Jointer, SS Scroll Saw, SS DC3300
maggeorge
Gold Member

Post by maggeorge »

Looks great and really well made wine stand. Like the joinery and techniques used and also the finish. Thanks for the helpful video.