prefered joints

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chuckc
Gold Member

prefered joints

Post by chuckc »

Being new to wood workiing, was wondering about pocket screws verses the ole glue, brad nailer method.

Been told that the pocket screws are by far the strongest.
flashbacpt
Gold Member

Preferred Joints

Post by flashbacpt »

A combination of glue and pocket hole joinery does make for a very strong joint....just not sure if it is the strongest! One of the attractions is that the joint is quick and easy to make.

John
FlashbacPT
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

What is it you're joining?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would consider the glue/pin nailing the 'quickest'. Realize only the glue provides meaningful separation resistance. The pins are a 'quickie' clamp.

A pocket screw would be better, but not as good as glued pocket screw.

Possible expansion may require refraining from gluing(hence the what joint question above (among some other reasons).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chuckc
Gold Member

Post by chuckc »

Thanks for the response. Guess i should have included the project that is a set of adjustable book shelfves for the home/office.

the Admiral wants me to practice more before tackling her new kitch Island that she has requested from the wood shop. LOL

A trip to Lowes has added a kreg JR to th shop inventory and I have decided to make my own shelf pin jig from left over stock.

happy holidays to all.

Capt Chuck
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Chuck,
As you probably know, pocket screws are designed for butt joints. They are great on face frames as well as panels. Other joint configurations are possible but, require some serious pre-planning.
Sorta depends on how you want your joints to look.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Chuck,

I have built several bookcases and cabinets. I am not a fan of butt joints and would only use the screw joints on a stationary cabinet. I use a wide variety of joints to give my cabinets every chance of remaining solid. May I suggest you read some books and magazine articles before you begin. I discovered that making every side, top, bottom and even the back interlock add to solidity and long life in a cabinet. Before I built my first cabinet I spent a great deal of of time studying every bookcase and cabinet in my house and many stores. This study paid big dividends and helped me learn many a lesson. Things to look at include, how rigid is the structure? How does each part interlock with the others. I remember seeing a bookcase where all of the interior shelves were mounted on pins. That bookcase didn't last a year. All of mine the top, bottom, sides and at least one other shelf toward center are permanent. On top of that the back is attached solidly to all sides and that center shelf. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

We always talk woodworking and visit shops when my wife's family gets together.
One BIL was talking yesterday about the gun cabinet he had built using mostly pocket hole joints.
He had used the special plugs on all of the joints except on the back of the face frame of the front. Nobody can see those, right? :) Weeell... He hadn't thought about the fact that he was using a full mirror inside of the back... He put that in last. When you look in through the front you see all of those pocket holes in the back of the face frame in the mirror. :eek: :)

Not going to be the easiest place to work...

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ain't hind sight(view from the back) wunnerful?:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange