Today in my shop (frank talk of stop collars)

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Do you shine up your equipment just for the photo taking sessions or does it always look like it just came out of the shipping container :D
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

reible wrote:Had a few moments so I looked them up, still the $6!

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-2768-125&catname=

Ed
You can also get them from McMaster-Carr.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-collars/=jkopmm
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Another use for the collars is to only put one on the tail stock, not two as is generally shown in the literature, and use the second on the upright for the tool rest. It allows you to simply drop the tool rest into the carriage and have it automatically set it to the center line of your turning (or wherever you want it).
Art in Western Pennsylvania
flashbacpt
Gold Member

Today in my shop (frank talk of stop collars)

Post by flashbacpt »

Ed,
I just wanted to say "Thank You" for opening my eyes. I have the adjustable collar, and a couple for my tailstock. But, over the years, for some reason, the light blub never came on for other uses, until I read your post.
The adjustable split collars are the answer for me.
I went to both websites to check on pricing. I found Surplus Center to be much higher on the collars, and their shipping charges very high. Parts replacement (Thanks George!:) ) was cheaper, and charged less for shipping. I ordered four!

John
FlashbacPT
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

reible wrote:...Clear enough? You have the option to ask questions if it is not.

Ed
One wee one: do you ever find it necessary to use 2 collars on the Exrension table setup, one infeed side, one outfee, to compensate for the slop in the table clamping?
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

reible wrote:...Now I want the table 1/4" higher. So what happens when you dig out your brass bars or a 1/4" drill bit or what ever you have.

[ATTACH]18678[/ATTACH]
...Ed
I had a set just like that. Found 'em in my wife's jewelry box. These were a bit shinier, tho, and oddly heavy.
Anaway, after I used them a couple times they got all scratched and dinged, made it hard to get an accurate "shim" fit any more. Guess the "brass' was just too soft.

So I had to throw 'em out.

And boy was my wife po'd when she finally noticed them gone. Don't know why, either, 'cause she still wont speak to me...
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

keakap wrote:One wee one: do you ever find it necessary to use 2 collars on the Exrension table setup, one infeed side, one outfee, to compensate for the slop in the table clamping?
Are the clamps applying equal pressure against both mounting tubes(not against one tube and the opposite casting). i.e. do the ends of the clamp both have clearance to the casting(both tubes are clamped without the clamp ends touching the casting).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

JPG40504 wrote:Are the clamps applying equal pressure against both mounting tubes(not against one tube and the opposite casting). i.e. do the ends of the clamp both have clearance to the casting(both tubes are clamped without the clamp ends touching the casting).
Why are you asking about this as if close counts. Hey, 1/8th inch here or there, a quarter of a billion here or there, or even several trillion. Who really cares? Close doesn't count any more. Where do you think you are? China?:rolleyes:
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

db5 wrote:Why are you asking about this as if close counts. Hey, 1/8th inch here or there, a quarter of a billion here or there, or even several trillion. Who really cares? Close doesn't count any more. Where do you think you are? China?:rolleyes:
The reason it 'matters' is that if not correct, only one of the two mounting posts is secured by the clamp.:eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

db5 wrote:Why are you asking about this as if close counts. Hey, 1/8th inch here or there, a quarter of a billion here or there, or even several trillion. Who really cares? Close doesn't count any more. Where do you think you are? China?:rolleyes:
Who put a burr under your saddle? It seems that a lot of your latest posts have been a little on the caustic side. Do you have a problem we can help you with? Or, do I just need to get used to your sense of humor? :confused:
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies