Did you know tool belts shrink?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cincinnati
Platinum Member

Did you know tool belts shrink?

Post by cincinnati »

Did you know tool belts shrink? I have proof. I had a tool belt hanging in my shop for over 20 years. You know because when I first started woodworking I had to have one just like Norm. Well.....I got it down tonight off the hook and thought "I'll try it on for old time sake" yep! the belt shrank a good 3 or 4" in 20 years. Had to adjust the belt out to make up for the shrinking.:o :o :o
"Prove to all the world Metal rules the land"
-Judas Priest, Heavy Duty.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

cincinnati wrote:Did you know tool belts shrink? I have proof. I had a tool belt hanging in my shop for over 20 years. You know because when I first started woodworking I had to have one just like Norm. Well.....I got it down tonight off the hook and thought "I'll try it on for old time sake" yep! the belt shrank a good 3 or 4" in 20 years. Had to adjust the belt out to make up for the shrinking.:o :o :o

Another 20 yrs will add to that! Do not worry until the belt starts growing!:eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I'm going to have to find my tool belt and test that theory.
nutball
Gold Member

Post by nutball »

I can definitely verify the theory!
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Haven't noticed tight tool belts, but my sweet wife has shrunk my pants.;) Still glad she does all the clothes washing:) .
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Yes, this is true. It also happens with regular belts. I believe that is because most belts are made of leather. Leather shrinks (so I've heard) when it gets wet and dries. So, as humidity increases and decreases, belts shrink. What is surprising is that it has shrunk only 3-4". Obviously you must live in a drier climate or it would be more in the 6" shrinkage range. :D
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

What I need is to find an appropriate way to stretch my 40 plus year old tool belt. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

fjimp wrote:What I need is to find an appropriate way to stretch my 40 plus year old tool belt. Jim

The trouble with tool belts, is you have to walk around with yer hands a foot away from yer hips(like a police man!).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tnerb
Gold Member

Post by tnerb »

My toolbelt still fits......... Kind of........ But my jeans sure have shrunk.

Brent
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

JPG40504 wrote:The trouble with tool belts, is you have to walk around with yer hands a foot away from yer hips(like a police man!).

But you look tough, no one messes with a guy who walks like John Wayne :eek:
R Hart