Neewbie with a Mark V and "stuff"

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Billdit
Gold Member

Neewbie with a Mark V and "stuff"

Post by Billdit »

Hello !! I have purchased a 1981 Mark V and assorted items in an attempt to try woodworking after years of restoring LBC's (Little British Cars) as a hobby. I have been lurking here for a few days getting great help from old posts on alot of questions.

One of the things I can't seem to find an answer to is a problem with the belt sander. The tension knob is stuck...will not turn either way but a tiny bit. the idler drum will not "push back" as it says it should in the instruction book. I've tried tapping it lightly with no luck. It runs fine and belt tracking works fine.

Thanks for any help... I am getting everything cleaned up and adjusted and lubricated ... looking foward to actually put some wood on the metal. :>)

Bill
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Billdit wrote:Hello !! I have purchased a 1981 Mark V and assorted items in an attempt to try woodworking after years of restoring LBC's (Little British Cars) as a hobby. I have been lurking here for a few days getting great help from old posts on alot of questions.

One of the things I can't seem to find an answer to is a problem with the belt sander. The tension knob is stuck...will not turn either way but a tiny bit. the idler drum will not "push back" as it says it should in the instruction book. I've tried tapping it lightly with no luck. It runs fine and belt tracking works fine.

Thanks for any help... I am getting everything cleaned up and adjusted and lubricated ... looking foward to actually put some wood on the metal. :>)

Bill
This is not an unusual complaint. The belt sander resides in a some what hostile environment. I suggest that it is tiime for a tear down and a thorough cleaning.

This Sawdust Session should be helpful.

If this does not solve the problem, someone will always be here to answer your questions.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Billdit
Gold Member

Belt tension

Post by Billdit »

Thanks for quick reply Dusty ! Problem is the belt will not come off due to tension, it will not clear underside of frame. Short of cutting the belt, any suggestions ??

Bill
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

dusty wrote:This is not an unusual complaint. The belt sander resides in a some what hostile environment. I suggest that it is tiime for a tear down and a thorough cleaning.

This Sawdust Session should be helpful.

If this does not solve the problem, someone will always be here to answer your questions.
Do you know that there is a key or lever built into the tension knob. You press in on that lever to release the tension lock?? Please do not be offended with this question. I don't know what your exposure level is.
MarkFive510
Billdit
Gold Member

BigSky

Post by Billdit »

I'm too new at this to be offended :)

Yeah, the catch will hold down as I try to turn the knob, then pop out...but does not relieve the tension...the knob only moves about 1/4".
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

After it 'pops out' push on the idler towards the belt. It should move in. The tracking may be adjusted forwards too far. Rotate the tracking knob top to bottom and you should see the idler drum move inward on that side.

If it has not been lubed/parts moved lately, it may be gummed up. Push harder.

Hard to 'advise' without hands on.

I will say the beast is somewhat counter-intuitive.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Billdit
Gold Member

Post by Billdit »

Thanks JPG ... That was the problem... off brand belt, had been adjusted all the way out... just had to "talk" to it a little bit... Thanks guys !! Now just gotta tear it apart and do major cleaning and lube...

Any suggestions on belt brand ? Which brands to avoid?

Bill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Billdit wrote:Thanks JPG ... That was the problem... off brand belt, had been adjusted all the way out... just had to "talk" to it a little bit... Thanks guys !! Now just gotta tear it apart and do major cleaning and lube...

Bill

942193 for starters

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/bs_sandingbelts.htm

Brand x as yer gambling budget allows.:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Billdit wrote:Thanks JPG ... That was the problem... off brand belt, had been adjusted all the way out... just had to "talk" to it a little bit... Thanks guys !! Now just gotta tear it apart and do major cleaning and lube...

Bill
I understand from others here on the forum that the new Shopsmith belts are excellent. I have a stock of older belts (Shopsmith) that I think are excellent. If the new ones are better - WOW - what could you ask for.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I understand from others here on the forum that the new Shopsmith belts are excellent. I have a stock of older belts (Shopsmith) that I think are excellent. If the new ones are better - WOW - what could you ask for.
Oh Yeah! I fergit about them greenuns! Cost more, but all rave reviews.

They are ceramic abrasive.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝