old Mark VII

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

e.friedl
Gold Member

old Mark VII

Post by e.friedl »

This must start as a gloat. I picked up a Mark VII this weekend for the vast sum of $40. It had sat for sixteen years after the owner past away. His widow was moving to a condo and had to sell it off. I did run it for a second and I turned the speed control just a little way. Turning it back down I shut it off. I want to clean it up a little before I try it out. I wonder where I can find lubrication information? He had replaced the switches with a single toggle where the key switch was. I have heard the switches didn't hold up too well. The cam is not perfect, but I think it will work. Which of course is why I want to be sure to lube it properly, the reputation of ruined cams.
She told me it was real old and I told her no it wasn't. My 1953 10ER had many years on hers. She got a chuckle out of that.
The one part that was missing was the miter gauge. I thought,"I can use the one from my 10ER." But apparently the bars are not the same width. Now I have to wonder if a "Power Pro" upgrade will be available one day?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

e.friedl wrote:This must start as a gloat. I picked up a Mark VII this weekend for the vast sum of $40. It had sat for sixteen years after the owner past away. His widow was moving to a condo and had to sell it off. I did run it for a second and I turned the speed control just a little way. Turning it back down I shut it off. I want to clean it up a little before I try it out. I wonder where I can find lubrication information? He had replaced the switches with a single toggle where the key switch was. I have heard the switches didn't hold up too well. The cam is not perfect, but I think it will work. Which of course is why I want to be sure to lube it properly, the reputation of ruined cams.
She told me it was real old and I told her no it wasn't. My 1953 10ER had many years on hers. She got a chuckle out of that.
The one part that was missing was the miter gauge. I thought,"I can use the one from my 10ER." But apparently the bars are not the same width. Now I have to wonder if a "Power Pro" upgrade will be available one day?
Any SS later than a '10' will have a miter gauge that will fit(Mark 5, Mark V-500,510,520). The '10' had what is now universal(almost) = 3/4"!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

JPG40504 wrote:The '10' had what is now universal(almost) = 3/4"!
In width only! It was a bit thinner than "standard." My Craftsman and Delta miter gauges will fit in the ER's slot, but they stand proud. I haven't accurately measured it, but I would guestimate ~1/8".
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
schmelifox2
Bronze Member

Post by schmelifox2 »

Be sure to lube with a couple drops of a heavy weight in the small hole located in the cam follower bearing. I think the book says about every 10 hours of use.