New to the forum, old to the Shopsmith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tango
Gold Member

New to the forum, old to the Shopsmith

Post by tango »

I can't believe I just found this forum. I've owned my SS for years, but never knew there was a forum out there for guys like me.

I've owned my Mark V for some time now; about four years, and I've made some mediocre projects but don't have too many pictures... oops

I'll attach some pics soon, but for now all I've got is the pics of the broken stand from my last Military move. Gotta love the movers and their finesse when moving a high dollar piece of equipment; perhaps next time I'll hire a pack of blind gorillas and hope for the best.

Anyway, most of my time is invested in the lathe; man I love the lathe... all the sawdust, and the chisels... hours and hours of fun :rolleyes:

I just recently bought a speed reducer, stronghold chuck, pen mandrel, and drill bit chuck arbor centerpiece thing... I can't wait for the mail to come in :D

Man, I can't believe I just found this forum...
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Welcome to the forum, tango. Man. I can't believe your enthusiasm. I'm really glad you have found the forum too. Looking forward to your future posts.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

WELCOME! BTW Do you ever use the lathe function on your SS?;) Hope your 'goodies' arrive soon! I hope you were referring the the leg and not the aluminum base piece.:(

DUSTY: you beat me to the Draw re Welcome! You posted while I was hunt & pecking!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="JPG40504"]WELCOME! BTW Do you ever use the lathe function on your SS?]

I must have started earlier than you did. I'm a two finger typist, too.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
tango
Gold Member

Nope, not that lucky

Post by tango »

Check out this pic of the damage; I only wish it was the stand instead of the base.

The guy unloading dragged it across my cobblestone walkway before I was able to freak out and yell at him! He looked like some sort of wild animal trying to drag a carcass up a mountain; it was insane, I couldn't believe he was actually dragging the shopsmith across my horribly uneven walkway. :eek:

Moving companies for the military; not always the best option.

Picture description:

you can see the damage on the top of the stand. That is actually the shopsmith that is damaged; the stand was fine... naturally... :mad:
Attachments
Shopsmith stand reformed.jpg
Shopsmith stand reformed.jpg (86.56 KiB) Viewed 6059 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="tango"]Check out this pic of the damage]

That has to be maddening. It was so unnecessary. Thankfully, the damage is in an area where it will not adversely effect the functionally of your Mark V.

Is there an oportunity to place an insurance claim?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
tango
Gold Member

Insurance claim

Post by tango »

dusty,

I actually have the insurance claim in the works, but you're right it doesn't hinder the functionality of the SS.

Some new casters should make me feel better (they broke those too)
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

Welcome, we are glad you found the forum. There is a ton of information and help here available from friendly people with only a simple question.

Sorry to see the damage your gorillas caused. Hope you can file a claim. Luck is with you since that part is still available from Shopsmith (approx $100 with shipping). It also shows up on Ebay occasionally and the last one I remember seeing sold on March 20th for only $2.99 + shipping. That is the great thing about Shopsmith. After all these years (mine is 1981) parts are still available with outstanding customer service.

You may want to check out the following sites for even more information:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/index.htm

http://www.ssug.org/index.php

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SSusers/
dlbristol
Platinum Member

welcome

Post by dlbristol »

Hey Tango, Welcome to this forum. Take it from me, these guys know SS, Woodworking and are willing to share! I have tested that proposition several times! They are pretty nice about it too! I've asked some pretty dumb questions and while I can't see them biting their lips or hear them snickering, I'm pretty sure they have to be. Not once did they make me feel as dumb as I felt after recieving an obvious answer. Once in a while you will get a good natured :rolleyes: , but all in good fun. Welcome. Thanks for your service.
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
tango
Gold Member

Post by tango »

anmius,

thanks for the insight, but its actually the SS itself thats damaged; not the base (naturally.) When they were dragging it into my garage the base caught on one of the stones in the walkway and the leg bent backwards and broke off a piece of the shopsmith itself.

Not too terrible a problem though; it still works fine.

I'm pretty excited about finding the forum; i've been looking for something like this for a while... not sure why it took me so long to find it

Not too many other woodworkers around here, so I'm either a big fish in a little pond or a regular fish in a pond with no other fish... most likely the latter :)