Belt sander rebuild, cam lock won't

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rbcsaver
Silver Member

Belt sander rebuild, cam lock won't

Post by rbcsaver »

Years ago (6 or so) I purchased a used SS belt sander. I never used it, but recently decided to rebuild and use. Cleaned out the old "wax lubrication," re-greased the sealed bearings etc. removed plate rust and put it back together. The problem is that the "cam lock" just won't. If I push the toggle in and rotate the cam clockwise, and adjust the tracking knob, as soon as the belt is tight and machine turned on , the cam rotates counter clockwise and the lock lever opens. Tech support had no anwers, nor could they tell me the age of the sander. Ser# 33914, but I guess from the 1980's, about the same vintage as my new to me, then machine 510.

Any suggestions?
Thank You.
jmattsson
Gold Member

Re: Belt sander rebuild, cam lock won't

Post by jmattsson »

Ran into this exact same problem a couple of years ago and had to replace the whole assembly. Expensive, but not as expensive as buying a new one. Simple fix. Good luck.
rbcsaver
Silver Member

Post by rbcsaver »

Do you know what the problem was? there are only a few moving parts. This may have been the problem when the prior owner unloaded it.
When you say "the whole assembly" do you the cam and the aluminum roller with it's built in springs and stuff?
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I suggest taking it apart and studying the mechanism. It is a fairly simple mechanical device and you should be able to diagnose the problem if you look at it.
I have never had mine apart so I haven't had to look into it, but if mine ever has a problem, I'll be taking it apart and fixing it.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Sounds to me like you are using an improper procedure.
Rotate the camlock knob clockwise without a sanding belt on the machine until there is no tension on the spring.
Then rotate the knob counter clockwise until the camlock pops up the fourth time. Slip a belt on the machine and press the lock button on the knob and the tension should rotate the top drum and set tension on the belt. Then turn the SS on and off quickly to see which way the sanding belt moves and adjust the tracking accordingly.
There is a more detailed instruction in the Power Tool woodworking book on the SS website.
Bill V
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Follow the correct instructions. It took me a while to figure=re this out...
Attachments
Belt sander instructions.jpg
Belt sander instructions.jpg (80.92 KiB) Viewed 17255 times
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
rbcsaver
Silver Member

Post by rbcsaver »

That exactly what I was doing. Just took it apart again and am reassembling.
The sole $$ video on the subject is ancient, not nearly detailed enough and still relies upon wax for lubricant.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... Tuneup.htm
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I rebuilt one a couple of years ago that had a bent drum. Carefully check that everything is back together correctly and engaging properly. If so follow the re-tensioning instructions from the sticker (shown above) that should be inside on the back of the plate. Attached is a PDF of the instruction sticker you can print and attach to your Belt Sander if you do not have one. It took me several tries to re-tension the drum before it worked correctly. I'm not sure why, it just did, but that was after getting the drum height adjusted correctly. The turning of the belt keeps that tension and turns the cams to hold it tight.

As for waxing it is still the method used to protect and allow the metal parts to slide on each other where oily products would cause a build-up with sawdust. Use Johnson Paste Wax or Minwax and follow the maintenance recommendations for this.

Your Belt Sander was made in June of 1983.
Attachments
Belt Sander plate label.pdf
Reproduction label for Belt Sander
(77.33 KiB) Downloaded 1423 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I know what I did but it wasn't a repair or an attempted repair.....

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... er#p236104

For me it was worth it, new bearings etc make it almost a new machine. If they last as long as the originals one of my grand kids would be next in line for repairs.

I saved the old parts thinking someday I might dig in and see what the insides are all about but then again I may never get to that.

I know the mechanize does fail as I know several people who have had the problem but no one I know has gotten it back in to like new condition without a replacement. Not saying it can't be done but sometimes the effort isn't worth it.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rbcsaver
Silver Member

Post by rbcsaver »

After days of unsuccessfully messing with it, and trying everything,I have come to the conclusion that they are just worn out. I just ordered replacement idler assembly and tensioning knob. To send it in for repair is more than replacement assembly and parts.