Jointer question.

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Jointer question.

Post by Gene Howe »

My present jointer is a 6" 70s vintage Craftsman floor model. Since my shop is a good bit smaller than an airplane hangar, I could use the space the Craftsman takes.
My jointer needs are for edge jointing only.
Would you advise the Shopsmith jointer as a replacement? And, I have two Shopsmiths so, no change overs would be required.
Owner if Bill Mayo has one laying around?
billmayo
Platinum Member

Re: Jointer question.

Post by billmayo »

YES. I have a early version joiner that Tony Mann (backhertz) and I rebuild 4-5 years ago and I never used. I recommend upgrading to the new feather guard kit on these joiners. Shipping of this heavy item is very expensive these days.
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

Gene.
I am curious as to the depth of the edges you are jointing.

If it is 2" of less have you considered using a router table instead (stand alone or the SS)? A 2" straight bit can be had for < $25. Most router fences can be offset so the following edge can be moved or shimmed to match the edge of the bit. A couple passes and you have a very smooth jointed edge.

That method could free up a fair amount of floor space, just in case the Lear Jet 70 needs a tad more room! :D

Just a thought.

Be well,
Ben
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Rockler sell a router fence shim wet just for that purpose.
http://www.rockler.com/router-table-joi ... ims-6-pack
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Some edges are 3-3/4". Not often, but often enough so that not having the capability would be frustrating.
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

Gene Howe wrote:Some edges are 3-3/4". Not often, but often enough so that not having the capability would be frustrating.
Then I think the SS joiner is the way to go.
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I use my SS fairly frequently and love it. It's not that great for boards longer than 4-5 ft but it is doable. Since most projects are less than that it doesn't come up that often and I have a work around for the longer pieces.
Paul
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

If you go to the SS videos, with Engler he shows you how to make a fence and table extension for a SS jointer, I made the fence extension for more height and length out of 3/4 Baltic Birch, I did not need the table extension, that is a steady pair of hands.
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

You might try the shopsmith 6" drum sander used with the drum sander fence. The fence has adjustments of 1/64" for both the infeed and outfeed side of the fence so it could be used as a jointer. Takes time to set up but works pretty well, very similar to the router table approach mention earlier.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Paul (masonsailor) has generously offered to let me have his extra one. So, I am good to go.