The New Shop!

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

easterngray
Platinum Member

The New Shop!

Post by easterngray »

Well if you remember, my original intention was to turn an old chicken house into a shop. Instead, SWMBO gave the go ahead for a tear down and new building. Here 'tis - 12' x 20' board and batten sided, timber frame shop with cedar shakes and a steel door and a couple vinyl double hung windows on the front. No electric yet, gotta wire it and build benches. there will be a long one on the back wall (left) with the RAS in the middle and a movable bench on the other wall, or in the middle, as needed. This is a dream come true for me and I give thanks first to my Lord, then to my wife! Alec

The Shop

Inside the shop
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Very nice chicken coop "overhaul"! Congratulations on the nice shop and LOYL.

Roy
qtndas01
Gold Member

Post by qtndas01 »

Looks great!! When you add the electric don't skimp on the lighting and a central dust collection system would be beneficial. Depending on the height and the number of crossmenbers you have that would be a great area for wood storage. How do you plan on heating it?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This is going to be a fantastic "chicken house". Congratulations.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
friscomike
Gold Member

Post by friscomike »

I am just putting together my shop, too, so I understand and share your excitement about a place to make sawdust in peace. Your shop looks great on the outside and inside. Best of luck with wiring and next steps.

~mike
...now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have sawdust to make... ;)
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi, Easterngray!

That is one very nice looking shop building!! Also very fitting into the Cape Cod style. It is sooooo much fun when our better halves agree with what we want to do. I feel your excitement and anticipation.

P.S. Save these photos! About a year from now take another set from the same places. If you are anything like me, your shop working space will become a bit more crowded. Funny how a couple of unfinished projects and some scraps can make a shop look as if a hurricane just hit.

My very best wishes for shop happiness!

P.S. - remember Mother's Day!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Great looking shop, Alec. Image Your RAS looks a little precarious in it's current position. Is it bolted down or something?:D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

Wonderful space you have there. Lots of overhead room. Oh boy do I wish. I agree that we would love to see it once you have made some projects. Have a great time and make sawdust. Making the wife a candle holder or paper towel holder as your first project might help in being able to get some great lighting. lol
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
sandyj
Gold Member

Post by sandyj »

Your new shop looks great. You must have put a bit of thought into that.
I can see you spending many happy hours working out the best posi for everything.
Your Shopsmith, - That is the first one that I have seen that is exactly the same color as mine. Would you know what color that is, so I can get some paint ordered to bring mine up to spec, please?
Thanks for showing your shop.
All the best
Sandy
1960 SS500, Magna Jointer & Dado. Hailing from New Zealand
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

Great shop!
All wood workers should have a wood floor it is mucho better to stand on than concrete and lends a cetain atmosphere to a wood shop.
Congratulations!
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D