Need to drill a hole

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mrhart
Platinum Member

Need to drill a hole

Post by mrhart »

So, I bought a hunk of Zebra Wood and the pizza cutter deal from Woodcraft a while back. I, without thinking, mounted it up and made a nice handle, all done and sanded. I cut it free, and then it occurred to me, "the hole dummy".
hmmm.
Best method to hold an irregular and finished piece to bore the hole for the screw thingy insert. It is about 6" long.

I hate it when I don't think something through.:mad:
R Hart
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mrhart wrote:So, I bought a hunk of Zebra Wood and the pizza cutter deal from Woodcraft a while back. I, without thinking, mounted it up and made a nice handle, all done and sanded. I cut it free, and then it occurred to me, "the hole dummy".
hmmm.
Best method to hold an irregular and finished piece to bore the hole for the screw thingy insert. It is about 6" long.

I hate it when I don't think something through.:mad:
pix pix pix pix
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

Yes sir, when I get home I will, I forgot last night....:o
R Hart
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mrhart wrote:Yes sir, when I get home I will, I forgot last night....:o
Good! We need to know what 'irregular' means.;)

At Ease!:D

No it does not mean Reservist!:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

How about a spray can of that wall space filler foam. Put the object in a container and squirt some of that foam around and under it. When it gets hard, you can drill away without having to clamp in down then just pop it out of the foam :D
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

fredsheldon wrote:How about a spray can of that wall space filler foam. Put the object in a container and squirt some of that foam around and under it. When it gets hard, you can drill away without having to clamp in down then just pop it out of the foam :D
It be able to grip well enough to resist the drilling torque?

Never tried that so I be curious.;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

That stuff is REALLY stickey and would be hard to remove from the wood. Be sure to put some plastic between the wood and the foam.
Bill
----------------
Mark V 520 50th Anniversary Edition, Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

I'll wait for the pics.

If you have a scroll chuck, it may be as simple as adding a few layers of blue painter's tape. There are lots of options depending on shape.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

Its a tapered handle, looks alot like the one on the box the hardware came out of.
Pics late this afternoon.
R Hart
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

When I need to hold irregular parts still and not mark them up, I wrap them tightly in a couple shop towels and put them in a vice. It can only really move on one axis, and you can fix that by putting blocks on either side of it in the vice.

Works for soft aluminum, should work for wood as long as you don't torque it down to hard.