Shopsmith v. e-bay

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Shopsmith v. e-bay

Post by ryanbp01 »

Hi there-

I have been doing some tracking for e-bay purchases I have made for used Shopsmith equipment. For the record, with the exception of my bandsaw cover and my overarm pin router which appear to be new in the package, everything else appears to be used. My question is this: how many times have you paid close to what a Shopsmith item would be if you ordered direct from the company? I really don't think the savings is there with e-bay. What say you?

BPR
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ryanbp01 wrote:Hi there-

I have been doing some tracking for e-bay purchases I have made for used Shopsmith equipment. For the record, with the exception of my bandsaw cover and my overarm pin router which appear to be new in the package, everything else appears to be used. My question is this: how many times have you paid close to what a Shopsmith item would be if you ordered direct from the company? I really don't think the savings is there with e-bay. What say you?

BPR
Recently I would agree! There are occasionally items which stay close to the opening bid which could be a 'bargain'. They be far between lately.

A while back though things were more attractive.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
trainguytom
Gold Member

Post by trainguytom »

I have noticed that many used Shopsmith items go for near new prices on ebay, and I've also seen a few go for more than new price which baffles me.
The only explanations for that seems to be that buyers either get caught in the whole auction/bidding thing, or they aren't aware that Shopsmith has those parts, or at what price.

I have gotten SS parts on ebay, but if it's still an available part, I always know the SS new price & usually only have an interest in the used one if it seems to be slipping through the cracks & will go dirt cheap. (Got a bandsaw fence for $13 because the pic was poor & it was described as a Mark 5 fence)

For a lot of parts, used is probably as good as new, because some stuff simply doesn't deteriorate with proper car & use, and I do need to carefully watch my dollar outlay, so while I'd love to support SS on all my purchases, I simply can't afford to do that, so I watch the used market, but I'm not so tight as to buy used when there's only a couple of bucks at stake. Anyway, that's my 2 cents...that's all I can afford to give out today.
My dad's 1951 10er, 2 more 10er's, same vintage, a Goldie MK5, a 510 shortie with 34inch tubes, bandsaw, jointer, jigsaw, belt sander, a ton of small SS goodies and still looking...you just can't have enough Shopsmith stuff
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Shopping for Shopsmith items on eBay used to be a very wise approach. It has been just stated that prices there are no longer as good as they once were. Why? Because the sellers are wiser than they once were.

It used to be that that very few of the sellers were repeat participants. Now, you will find that there are several sellers that are there constantly. They are operating what amounts to a store front on eBay for Shopsmith (woodworking) related items. These folks have gotten wise in how to get the most $$$ from the casual eBay shoppers.

To get a really good deal these days requires more skill than it once did.

One thing for certain - know the retail value of anything that you going for on eBay. Many buyers pay more than a used item is worth. In some cases, they pay more than one can for direct from Shopsmith. Do your home work.

Having said all of that - there are times when eBay is the only place to go. Example: items that Shopsmith no longer makes. This is where the informed sellers have a definite pricing advantage.

I have generated a list of sellers whose ads I don't even read.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
backhertz
Platinum Member

Post by backhertz »

There used to be several sellers on Ebay who did outstanding jobs in presenting parts for sale. One guy pic's made the parts appear like they were floating in air. Back in 2007/2008, I think these people may have been selling more Shopsmith parts than Shopsmith. I remember the bidding wars resulting on items going for more than the same item was being sold by Shopsmith. I got a chuckle out of that.

Craig's List seems to be a place where people can still get some deals. But that is hard for many as Craig's List is designed for face-to-face transactions. I like Craig's List because I've often scored more when people say, "I have another box or two full of Shopsmith stuff…" These boxes sometimes contained some very expensive accessories. Like a Forrest Gump box of chocolates…

Location, location, location seems to be three important factors in getting a good deal on a used Mark V. I still get a kick of people who have a Brownie and compare it with new 2012/2013 Mark V prices and then ask for half that figure. But I suppose people have to start somewhere. What's the value of a Mark V? I suppose it's whatever someone is willing to pay like many other things.

I can't help looking on Craig's List. I used to know a way to simple google craigslist.org and use brackets or parentheses that will pull up every Shopsmith in the country. It's much easier than just going to the Craig's List site and having to change the area I'm interested in. I've found many smaller items on Craig's List that sellers didn't mind mailing to me. But it's up to them as is risky unlike Ebay where people are worried about their feedback scores.
One Greenie, Two Mark 7s,Three 510s and much more…
bobgroh
Gold Member

Post by bobgroh »

I would say that eBay prices are usually quite close to what Shopsmith want's. Add in the need to hassle with the bidding process, etc and I usually wind up just going to Shopsmith and buying what I need direct. For example, I just bought a 4" lathe tool rest as well at the tailstock (i.e. #2 MT) adapter for the 1/2" drill chuck - looked at eBay and just didn't want to fool around. Buying from Shopsmith, price was close and I got NEW stuff. And minimum hassle.

Craigslist - well, I keep my eye out there - sort of. But I certainly don't need another Mark V and I have all the SPTs so not much incentive there.
Bob Groh
Blue Springs, Missouri (just east of Kansas City, MO)

--------------------------------------------
1984 SS Mark V updated to model 510
1994 SS Mark V updated to model 520
SS SPT's: Bandsaw
Other tools:routers, Bosch router table, Craftsman 6" jointer, Steel City 12" bench planer, Porter Cable 7" power saw, and too much other stuff (not really - just kidding!!)
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

My practices are the same as trainguyTom and Dusty. Put in your max bid, if it goes over, let it go. There will be others. Bought a SS biscuit cutter for $45, used in excellent condition. Been working for 2 years to get a speed reducer. Someday, one will come along at the right time and price. Can't afford one from SS. When I can afford smaller items, will purchase from SS. Especially, bearings. Just be judicious and as Dusty said, "Do your homework." If it is affordable from SS, buy it from them to help them stay in business. Sandpaper is most always cheaper from SS than eBay.
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
backhertz
Platinum Member

Post by backhertz »

Ebay amazes me. Right now there is a Shopsmith with some nice accessories for sale for $2500 or best offer:

Shopsmith Model 500 with (5) main power tools (Lathe, Circular Saw, Horizontal Drill Press, Vertical Drill Press & Disc Sander),
Upgrade to Model 510, Ring Master, Oscillating Sander, Mortising Attachment, Tenon Master Jig, Jointer Adjuster & (3) blades, Universal Hold down, Lathe Duplicator, Molder Head Arbor Head & Bits, Set of Extender Tables, Shopsmith Biscuit Jointer, Dado Blades & Hub, Sanding Discs, Conical Disk Sander, Bench Vise, Steel T-Rule & Protractor , Shopsmith Light, Lathe Chisels, Live Center, Center Finder & (2) Calipers, Jointer & Cover, Speed Increaser & Bearings. This is for pick-up only. The estimated original cost for this is around $6500.

The seller asserts the entire setup cost $6500. If you look close, it almost looks like a Greenie bench with a new headstock with a 510 upgrade. I wonder where the $6500 price came from?

Then in Kissemmee, Florida is a Model 500 with a bandsaw & a belt sander for $450 or $500 buy it now. Looks decent, except it's a Model 500.

I'm going down in a couple of weeks, but I have no more room, nor would I care to buy & resell.
One Greenie, Two Mark 7s,Three 510s and much more…
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

Patience and a good understanding of going rates (both on E-Bay and most importantly, SS's new price). Good deals that are a fraction of the SS new price are still out there. There definitely are more of the full-time SS chop-shop sellers on there, some of which are fairly reasonable at least with their starting price, while others almost always start the bidding at a price I already consider too much. There also are lots of folks who are selling stuff they have no idea what it really is, much less the true condition or functionality...definitely pays to be a patient and well versed consumer these days on E-Bay. One of the items that continues to boggle my mind how much it sells for on E-Bay is the strip sander - folks routinely run the bidding up on used strip sanders (which usually only have one of the three platens and no owners manual) to at least 80% of the cost of a new one...at that point, no way I'm buying some random used machine that's missing a manual and parts for that kind of $$.
'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dgale wrote:Patience and a good understanding of going rates (both on E-Bay and most importantly, SS's new price). Good deals that are a fraction of the SS new price are still out there. There definitely are more of the full-time SS chop-shop sellers on there, some of which are fairly reasonable at least with their starting price, while others almost always start the bidding at a price I already consider too much. There also are lots of folks who are selling stuff they have no idea what it really is, much less the true condition or functionality...definitely pays to be a patient and well versed consumer these days on E-Bay. One of the items that continues to boggle my mind how much it sells for on E-Bay is the strip sander - folks routinely run the bidding up on used strip sanders (which usually only have one of the three platens and no owners manual) to at least 80% of the cost of a new one...at that point, no way I'm buying some random used machine that's missing a manual and parts for that kind of $$.

So, what would you consider a fair price for a strip sander, refurbed, with all three platens, and a manual?:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange