Metal Spinning

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jmc_bc1963
Silver Member

Metal Spinning

Post by jmc_bc1963 »

Has anyone here have any experience with metal spinning? If so I'd love to chat with them.

Thanks.

Julie
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

I don't have any experience with this but saw that PSI Woodworkingis now offering supplies and instruction.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I have never done it but I did enjoy standing and watching several other of the guys doing it while at BSU shop class over 50 years ago. I was fascinated by it and vowed to try it someday (I still have not :rolleyes:). I do recall a high "noisy" failure rate. :eek: :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
Culprit
Gold Member

Post by Culprit »

Wait for Holsgo to chime in.
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

I did a fair amount of metal spinning back in the 80's and I certainly wouldn't do it on my Shopsmith. The stresses on the headstock bearings is much more than the Shopsmith (or any wood lathe) is designed for. And I'm not sure the Shopsmith tool rest would be able to take the stresses either. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:D
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Watched it done once back in '58 or so. Looked real dangerous!! I did not stand in line with the disc!!:D
Bill V
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

That PSI video is really neat. I've never seen it done. How do you imagine the vertical metal elements were executed into the mixed metal and wood bowl? Really handsome piece!
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

There is a tv show on about turning, a project a few weeks ago was just what you're asking about maam. Cool to watch. Guys help me with the name of the show......... I would try it on a SS.

(as soon as someone calls you "papa", you start forgettin s#-^!)
R Hart
jmc_bc1963
Silver Member

Lathe specs-

Post by jmc_bc1963 »

Thanks for the replies, I'd be interested in finding out the name of that show too.

www.pennstateind.com/store/MSSTART.html

According to the PennState website with their metal spinning kit:
You’ll need a wood lathe with a 10” swing or larger, 1/2HP motor, 5/8” toolrest holder, 1” x 8tpi headstock and live tailstock center (You’ll find these specifications on most modern midi lathes by PSI Wodworking™, Delta™, Jet™, Rikon™ and others).

For small/med weight stuff I'm pretty confident a SS could handle it. Looks like fun :)

J
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Is it Woodturning Workshop with Tim Yoder?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob