Looking for table saw blade

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hdtran
Gold Member

Looking for table saw blade

Post by hdtran »

I'm looking for a table saw blade with a really thin kerf. Mainly cross-cuts. Doesn't necessarily need to be a 10" blade.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

hdt
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

http://www.mytoolstore.com/tenryu/thinke.html

Here are some additional possibilities.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

pennview wrote:http://www.mytoolstore.com/tenryu/thinke.html

Here are some additional possibilities.
+1 Great blades, nice cuts, wouldn't use any other.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
hdtran
Gold Member

Post by hdtran »

Thanks!

The Tenryus look like thinner kerf than the Freuds. Standard 5/8 arbor, right?
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

A standard saw blade kerf is about 1/8" or .125, while a thin kerf blade is about 3/32 or .094. Some of the the Tenyru blades are thinner than your typical thin kerf blade as you can see from the chart on the web site given. Sizes vary by manufacturer so you'll need to check the literature to be sure if one blade is thinner than another. You'll also need to determine if the blade is designed to make the cut you want. Yes, blades typically have a 5/8" arbor hole, but some of the Tenyru's do not.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
holsgo
Platinum Member

Post by holsgo »

If you want really thin try a slitting cutter. High tooth count and normally used for metalworking but should work well. Then again, I have yet to try it myself but it is supposed to be a good blade.
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

My Shopsmith 60T crosscut blade was made by Freud and it does a great job on crosscuts. It measures about .091" thick. Be aware that as you go to blades even thinner, the alignment of the upper saw guard splitter becomes more critical, with the possibility of the wood hanging up on the splitter's edge.

The Shopsmith crosscut blade does an OK job on plywood, but with the thin veneers on today's plywood I would recommend an 80T HiATB blade with a hook angle around 2 to 5 degrees. I have Freud's LU79RO10 and it does an excellent job on plywood and laminates.
hdtran
Gold Member

Post by hdtran »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm planning on doing crosscuts (well, angled crosscuts, anyway). I need to build a table saw sled fixture. I'll operate without the guard, but use the sled fixture as a zero clearance plate, with clamps on the work to (hopefully) prevent workpiece launches. (Saw blade height set to cut through the work, but only a bit into the waste clamp).

Basically, I want to make wood slices (from relatively expensive woods), so I really don't want to make 0.125" thick slices, and lose 0.125" in the kerf!

The bandsaw has a smaller kerf (maybe 0.040"?), but the cut isn't nearly as clean, so significant sanding is necessary prior to glue-up.