Outfeed/Infeed Tables

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Ebay plans

Post by Greenvilleguy »

I have an old 500 carriage and would like to see the plans that use it. Does anyone have the link on ebay or some "search words"?
berry
Platinum Member

Outfeed Table

Post by berry »

I sure like Earl’s work. But I found this little cantilevered outfeed table works pretty well. This is NOT my idea. Someone in the Yahoo SS, whose name escapes me, came up with the idea and I simply copied it.

It can be made in an afternoon from shop scrap so it fit into my budget. It only takes a couple of minutes to add or remove it from the main unit.

I’m going to try and post a couple of pics which are self explanatory.
Attachments
lowresoutfeedtable1.jpg
lowresoutfeedtable1.jpg (71.79 KiB) Viewed 11086 times
lowresoutfeedtable2.jpg
lowresoutfeedtable2.jpg (72 KiB) Viewed 11033 times
lowresoutfeedtable3.jpg
lowresoutfeedtable3.jpg (88.29 KiB) Viewed 11009 times
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Berry
Looks good!
The only thing I wonder about is it off balance front to back.
With Earl's design you have equal weight front and back.
I know how being off balance up sets the main table as far as raising it up and down.
Ed
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Thanks

Post by Greenvilleguy »

Berry,

That looks easy enough. I think I'll replace the 2 by side rails with 1 by stock, extent it front and back for balance and open the bottom of the tube holes so I can take it on and off without adjusting the tubes.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
berry
Platinum Member

Outfeed tables continued

Post by berry »

A couple of quick points if you make one of these.

1. Note that the width of the outfeed table itself (the section with formica on it) isn't as wide as the frame work. On my first go I made the framework just as wide enough to hug the SS table. But I found that sometimes I need to move my fence over to the point where I need a table extension. So the framework is the width of the table + 1 extention.

2. Typically balance hasn't been an issue. I take three precautions with longer stock. For example I'm cutting some 4 quarter cherry that's about 95" long. First I put a bottle jack on the tubes and raise it so it just touches the bottom of the table. Second, earlier in this thread someone mentioned these supports that HD sells thru the Ridgid (sp?) brand. I use one under my outfeed table. Finally a foot or so beyound my table I have a roller stand.

3. A key drawback to this design is that there is no slot for your miter gauge. So if you intend to use one with this, you'll need to get out your stacked dado set.

4. The biggest benefit to this design is that is raises and lowers automatically when you change your table height.

I really like the idea of extending it on infeed side too. I'll be re-making mine to include that.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I know most of you are thinking of building your own but for the sake of those who might want to go the shopsmith route I posted a couple of pictures at:
http:
When you get there look for "shopsmith with extension table brackets".

The first photo has the brackets used as an outfeed table, the second photo shows the brackets mounted on the infeed and the shopsmith extension table as the out feed. The third shot show the 86+" of table space.

This is just for your infomation.

EDIT:

UPDATE to location of pictures:
www.flickr.com/photos/12199425@N02/sets/72157601718314010/

Ed
ssj1
Bronze Member

Post by ssj1 »

Beery, your solution looks fantastic. Just tell me, what is the length of the frame beyond the tubes?
fjimp
Platinum Member

Infeed Outfeed Extensions that work

Post by fjimp »

Ed,

Good pictures. I also elected to go that route and the tables really do work well. Thanks for the excellent pictures showing the detail of the set up. Jim P.
ssj1
Bronze Member

Post by ssj1 »

I just finished building Berry's in and outfeed table and it is very good - thanks Berry.
dusty
Platinum Member

Outfeed Table

Post by dusty »

I too was intrigued by the pictures of this outfeed table. It looks great. I have just completed my own version and am not at all satisfied . I am going to give this one a shot.

I was concerned about being able to decipher the design from the pictures but I believe I have done so. Give it a shot.

The important task at hand (critical in my opinion to success) is getting the dimensions down pat. Keep in mind that the worktable surface height becomes most critical. The dimensions provided are for a SS with the 520 Pro. If you are working with any other model -- I SUSPECT THAT the dimensions will be different.

I am debating over the infeed/outfeed provision; thinking that I might do outfeed only (which is what I did on my original attempt). Balance (weight distribution) being a concern. Hanging weight on those tubes without a counterbalance may cause some alignment problems (problems MAINTAINING alignment).

If you are going to try this, I suggest you find/purchase the aluminum stock before you start designing. The dimension of that stock is also critical; an 1/8th of an inch will make the difference in passing stock from one table to the next.