SS Back-orders?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Gee. I'm glad I read this post. I've had the sharpening attachment on order so long that I had forgotten about it.

It just go to show..........I just finished sharpening 10 bench chisels the old fashioned way, with a honing guide on a series of wet/dry paper attached to glass plates.
tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

charlese wrote:Talked to Jan this morning to up-date the expiration date on my card which will expire Aug. 31.

She told me it probably won't be necessary because the sharpening jigs are slated to ship this week.:)

Boy Charlie, you just made my night. Thanks
ShopSmith MarkV-520 with Belt Sander, Jointer, Band Saw, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Biscuit Jointer SPTs and a DC-3300...
Woodworking Hobbyist (Check out all my Woodworking Plans (http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans)
Aspiring Sandcarver: Breaking glass one grain at a time.
Black Powder Shooter (love the smell of burning sulfur).
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

I ordered my Power Station back in February. It arrived last week. It has been worth the wait!

Shopsmith Staff did send me regular emails or telephone calls to keep me appraised of the progress on this order. I have been extremely pleased with their customer service.
jdramsey
Gold Member

Post by jdramsey »

I ordered my sharpening jig about 6 weeks ago and still haven't received it. And everytime I call Shopsmith, I'm on "death penality" hold. I've get frustrated after 10 minutes and hang up. I don't know who Jan is, but I hope it was somebody at SS! I really hope I get it soon. Very hard to be a loyal SS customer with these riduculously long delays.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jdramsey wrote:I ordered my sharpening jig about 6 weeks ago and still haven't received it. And everytime I call Shopsmith, I'm on "death penality" hold. I've get frustrated after 10 minutes and hang up. I don't know who Jan is, but I hope it was somebody at SS! I really hope I get it soon. Very hard to be a loyal SS customer with these riduculously long delays.

You are far too young to be so impatient; ten (10) minutes??. You still having a lot of waiting for others yet to do.

If you had made contact with Jan (or Linda) and you hung up without waiting for them, you lost a golden chance to get your question answered.

This may well be one of the best customer service departments you will ever have the opportunity to work with.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi, J.D.! Dusty is correct in the part about being in such a hurry to talk to Jan, or Linda. However, we will overlook that issue (temporarily) to tell you that My Chisel Sharpening Attachment was mailed last Friday, (Aug. 28th). I sincerely hope yours has been mailed already, but since mine was ordered on December 26th, maybe mine was made and mailed first. Gee! sorry if that is the case!!!

In talking with Linda or Jan, once a month since January, I found they were waiting for "parts". The SS company could not get a promise of when these parts would arrive. I also found out that some suppliers have cut way back in their production, or have even gone out of business.

I just happened to call SS on the day the parts for the Sharpening Attachment arrived to their Dayton plant. They (SS) immediately began assembling the Sharpening Attachments.

Hopefully you will get yours soon! Really!!! You say, while waiting for an answer from SS, you hung up in 10 minutes. I've also hung up a couple of times, when I had something else to do, although I should have realized it normally takes about 15 minutes or so to connect. After once connecting with either Linda or Jan, you have connected with two of the very best experts concerning Shopsmith tools. They can explain all of the Mark V parts, help a caller troubleshoot, or even answer a question about availability.

These ladies always possess and show their helpful attitude. They never try to rush any caller through and always find enough time to answer and offer suggestions to help the caller. This, of course, takes a couple of minutes per call. While waiting, try to remember the time is being taken up with helping others.

P.S. If you know your order number, you can go to the "Shopsmith Owner's Site" http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/ and click on 'Order Status' either at the top or or bottom of the page. From there you only need your order number and phone number.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

I have to totally agree with these girls being the best. I had a need for just the featherboard attachment for my shaper fence. SS normally only sells it in a kit that includes other parts that I did not need. They took the time to get the part numbers for each piece, checked inventory and by placing an order for specific parts, like screws washer ie. I was able to build the featherboard myself. Now that is customer service and they even know how to build the parts they are supporting.
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
backhertz
Platinum Member

Post by backhertz »

I made a pilgrimage to Poe Ave several years ago to go to the Retail Store. You can imagine my surprise after driving all night to learn the store had been closed for a long, long time and was being used as a studio/workshop for Nick & Tim. I had gone near Dayton to pick up a scroll saw I won on Ebay. The seller told me about the store & told me they would have some good deals so I opted to drive rather than pay a lot for transportation costs.

Well, I noted the employees entrance and made my way into the building which is huge. One of the first people I met was either Jan or Linda. I explained I had driven all night, yaddi, yaddi, yadda and I had wanted to look at a strip sander and buy a special belt that I had seen Nick Engler demonstrate on one of the saw sessions.

In a few minutes I was greeted by Nick and he must of spent well over a an hour with me. I asked him about the leather strop belt he used on the strip sander for removing the burr. That's when I learned it wasn't a Shopsmith item, but one supplied by a wood carver. But he did better and called the guy up and in a couple of weeks I had my own belt.

Then he gave me a tour of the factory. This was more than I even imagined. What I could not get over was seeing all of the 10Es/ERs (I'm not sure which) being set up as machine stations for making the Model V's. This is what sparked my interest in the older 10ERs.

Anyhow, after the tour he took me back to the area where the ladies work. I was equally impressed with their knowledge of the tools and also their enthusiasm in wanting to help me out. I left the factory at least 2 1/2 hours after I let myself in.

If you don't want to be on hold for a long time, then click on the link to send an email. A form will pop up and you will be answered in a day or two.
One Greenie, Two Mark 7s,Three 510s and much more…
bills2008
Silver Member

Post by bills2008 »

jdramsey wrote:I ordered my sharpening jig about 6 weeks ago and still haven't received it. And everytime I call Shopsmith, I'm on "death penality" hold. I've get frustrated after 10 minutes and hang up. I don't know who Jan is, but I hope it was somebody at SS! I really hope I get it soon. Very hard to be a loyal SS customer with these riduculously long delays.

LOL Wait till you have to deal with Homeland Security. I was on hold with them for 3 hours 27 minutes and 45 seconds when I was trying to find my TWIC they lost.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bills2008 wrote:LOL Wait till you have to deal with Homeland Security. I was on hold with them for 3 hours 27 minutes and 45 seconds when I was trying to find my TWIC they lost.
WHAT is a 'TWIC'?:confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange