Wixey Laser being sold by Shopsmith

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Wixey Laser being sold by Shopsmith

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:Dusty read back farther in the thread, shopsmith sent information out so it is indeed a fact as far as we can tell and shopsmith is not telling a fib.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 38#p266238

Ed
As is 'seeking' the facts! :D

I agree re Saltwater.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I keep waiting for mine to fall apart. One side is hard to adjust, getting that fine last bit is hard when it is so tight and over shooting happens when it finally does move. The other side is much nicer. The good news is once adjusted and not moved it stays in alignment.

The bad news continues to be the shopsmith bracket. By adding a stop collar I have fixed the issue but I should not have had to do that. And if and when I have to move the assembly it requires readjustment. I plan to make a pair of spacers to go between the bracket and the headstock and see if that will fix that remaining problem.

A lot of messing about for something that just should have worked out of the box. Now if some has gotten one that does truly function as delivered good for them and I wish I had gotten one like that, but well I didn't.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I've been reading the threads (complaints) about drill press wixey but I really do not understand the issue. Maybe what I don't understand is the degree of accuracy that every one seems to be striving for.

If you know "exactly" where you want a hole, you must also know where you want the center of that hole. If you know that and you mark it on the work piece is positioning the tip of the drill bit on that mark the end of the challenge. The well aligned drill press takes over from there.

Okay guys (all three or four of you that are inclined) ponce. What does the ole man just not understand?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I am not going to pounce at all. :) That seems to be a good question. Laser or not you still have to mark the center of the hole. The difference is that with the laser you can align the center of the drill with the mark on your stock and not have to guess, check, adjust, guess again, check again, etc.. You know where the drill is going. That is why you need the accuracy for precisely positioned holes.

In another direction where holes don't have to be precise. With my wife's scroll sawing she may have to drill 50 or more holes before she starts to saw. Some of the spaces are quite small. Usually a 1/16 or 3/32" bit. Without the laser you have to extend the quill to check the position of the stock, adjust as necessary and then drill, 50 times. With the laser you position the stock somewhere in the opening and drill.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

If you might remember I got one of these because the questions was if they could be mounted on a shopsmith. Not the current one but what was available back then.

As it turned out it wasn't that big a deal to come up with something that worked fine. I had no "need" for this nor would I have gotten one thinking how great it might be. As it turns out it is quite useful. I keep mine mount on my powerpro drill press and have found that I tend to use it often. Like when I want to set up the fence so I can drill a series of holes at a set distance from the fence. The laser points where it will drill and I can slide the fence and or table to get the mark to line up and tighten. If something happens to move in that process I can see it at a glance.

Lots of other times I just want to get a hole drill at some location and it is faster to slide the workpiece in to place and locate it with the laser.

Ed
okiejim
Silver Member

Post by okiejim »

Reible,
I have one of the older style lasers and saw your pictures. I made one and it is working just as expected. I videoed my build and am going to post it on my youtube channel. Would you mind if I post your name on my video as the creator to the idea? I feel I must because it was not my idea. And I like to give credit where credit is due :)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

okiejim wrote:Reible,
I have one of the older style lasers and saw your pictures. I made one and it is working just as expected. I videoed my build and am going to post it on my youtube channel. Would you mind if I post your name on my video as the creator to the idea? I feel I must because it was not my idea. And I like to give credit where credit is due :)
Sure why not? Post a link when it is up too.

Ed
okiejim
Silver Member

Post by okiejim »

Thank you Ed,
My channel is just for my entertainment. I'm not seeking an money. I just want to share what I know and learn from others via comments. Here is the link you wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDE-wBX9SEs

Not sure if this link is right.
Last edited by okiejim on Thu May 14, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

The link is right. I enjoyed the video. In the credits you might have misspelled Ed's name. On the forum he goes by reible, "i.e." e before i. I would presume that is Germanic which makes it a long I sound, but I'll let him tell you since in English we rarely follow our own rules, much less anyone else's.

- David
okiejim
Silver Member

Post by okiejim »

Thank you David,
I have made the correction to his name. It will take a few hours for it to appear on youtube. My internet connection is very slow. I live in the country.