Broken Lever Lock - 520 fence

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shoedo
Gold Member

Broken Lever Lock - 520 fence

Post by shoedo »

I don't know how old the fence is since I bought it on the secondary market. Has anyone else experienced this type of metal fatigue? I was locking the fence in place when the piece just broke off. I will order a replacement part from Shopsmith soon.
Attachments
MVC-182S.JPG
MVC-182S.JPG (26.71 KiB) Viewed 7234 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Broken Lever Lock - 520 fence

Post by jsburger »

No, I have had my 520 since it first came out. Buying second hand is sometimes risky. Maybe the original owner dropped the fence at some point or kept it adjusted too tight so it took a lot of pressure to lock it. Those levers are very robust so I don't know how that could occur with out serious abuse.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I have seen it, but do not know how it broke. I bought a used 520/M7 fence for a very low price which had one of the lock levers broken in the same place. Purchased a new lock lever from SS and replaced it. Now I have a good working fence. After you replace the lock lever check to see the locks are not too tight. I had to adjust them on the one I repaired.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
shoedo
Gold Member

Post by shoedo »

Ok, not sure how to make that adjustment but I will take a look at it. I used some JB Weld to mend the broken lever and it looks fine. Shopsmith is taking orders but not mailing anything from its warehouse.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I am pretty sure Shopsmith is shipping, perhaps not every day. I received a large order a couple of weeks ago, and according to the status a smaller order I made shipped yesterday. And I've seen posts where people are getting parts, including service parts. But I hope your JB Weld fix holds.

The adjustments are pretty intuitive, lock nuts at the back of the fence for the top lever and at the back of the front casting for the bottom. I doubt it was broken from being out of adjustment, more likely it was dropped on the handles at some point.

- David
Shawn
Silver Member

Post by Shawn »

I purchased a used 520 with the same issue. Basically a brittle cast. Got replacement part from Shopsmith, no problems. At one of the demonstrations, Mike mentioned that it may be adjusted too tight. Did not make any adjustments on mine, both are 'snug'. Might need to order a roll pin and get a punch if you do not have one. I bought a set from the local hardware store.
Mark V 520 Table System with Jointer, Band saw, Planer, Strip Sander, Biscuit Joiner and DC3300 Dust Collector. DeWalt palm sander, Ryobi 12" sliding miter saw, and hopefully many more items to come.
shoedo
Gold Member

Post by shoedo »

I just installed the lower lever. I detected movement of the fence so I incrementally tightened the nut until I eliminated the movement of the fence.