Help me identify this Shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thephoneguyjoe
Bronze Member

Help me identify this Shopsmith

Post by thephoneguyjoe »

Thanks for allowing me into the community.

I have been working with wood for 40 years or so as a hobbiest cabinetmaker and refinisher.

A friend has connected me with this Shopsmith and so I am just entering the community as a 62 year old newbie. I feel in love with woodworking over metal working as a 20 year old when I visited a friend who had a Shopsmith in his home. I have always had access to others woodworking equipment so I never built my own shop.

I need help identifying this unit and deciding what I am able to add to it to help bring it up to speed.

It seems to be in good condition for what it is but I know its old but it is currently residing in the home it was used to build so I am duly impressed.

Having watched a few dozen videos online I am starting to get acquainted with the system and I am looking forward to the possibility of setting up a small garage shop with the Shopsmith as the key piece of equipment. I am guessing that I might be better off with a newer and/or upgraded unit but time will tell.

Thanks in advance, Joe
Attachments
Shopsmithtwo.tiff
Shopsmithtwo.tiff (1.86 MiB) Viewed 8199 times
Username
Bronze Member

Re: Help me identify this Shopsmith

Post by Username »

Converted the file from TIFF to JPEG.
Converted the file from TIFF to JPEG.
Shopsmithtwo.tiff.jpg (288.75 KiB) Viewed 8177 times
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

You have a Mark 5, model 500. Is everything you are getting in the photo or are there more Shopsmith goodies laying around the shop?
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

You have a lot of options , upgrading can be costly ,new can be costly , one thing you have going for you is parts are available new and used, a table / fence upgrade may help , do not get rid of your old carriage and table , they can be used along with the upgrade , or they can be made into router tables . saw stands and numerous other handy items for a small shop . a blade guard and fence dont seem to be in the picture , if you dont have one they sell used one on ebay along with arbors ,dado blades sanding pads and disc .and there is a SS group on FB.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)